Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive replacement question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MashaT

MashaT

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

My hdd is failing and I am thinking of replacing it.

Now my old HDD is Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200RPM 3.0gb/s SATA 32MB cache 3.5" desktop.

I decided to stick to same brand - Seagate so right now I am looking at 2 choices.

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive

and

Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD

My question is two fold:

1)  Will both these drive be compatible to replace my old 3.0GB/s 32MB cache drive (without any extra modifications/materials)?

2) Will any of these drives make ANY difference in the speed and performance of my 4+ yr desktop PC or they just perform up to capacity of my old (3.0gb/s, 32mb cache) drive and no more?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:50 AM

The biggest difference will be in a shorter boot time using the hybrid drive. The SSD part will cache the files used during boot.

I don't know of any reason why both would not be compatible with your computer.

If you want some real techie info on the hydrid drive and comparisons there are several pages in the below link. The link is not

to the first page but a comparison speed page.

Seagate's Desktop SSHD 2TB hybrid drive reviewed - The Tech Report - Page 4

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users