Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BeachGaBulldog

BeachGaBulldog

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:28 AM

Yesterday, I bought a new ASUS laptop. A friend of mine took all of my music, pictures, etc., from my old laptop, burned them to 2 CDs, and when I insert one in, it starts out like its spinning, then goes quiet, so how do I play a CD in Windows 8?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

Just a guess but might not be set to auto-play.Right click the drive and choose  play,should work for you.

That allows you to play the songs one at a time.If you want to listen to the whole CD you'll have to add it to your media player.Hope that helps.

Edited by Plumber, 22 April 2015 - 10:19 AM.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:16 PM

As a general rule it is better to have autoplay (and other auto run systems) turned off, as keeping them off makes it harder to get infected with a virus via removable media. You should be able to play any file on the cd disc or open any image on it by browsing in "my computer" (sometimes called "this pc" on windows 8.1) for the cd drive (usually E:\) and searching through the folders on it to find the file you want to open, then double clicking the file. In your specific case you will want to also copy all the files and folders on the discs onto somewhere on the hard-drive of the new machine.

Edited by rp88, 22 April 2015 - 02:17 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users