Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP compromised by Adwcleaner. Basic functions no longer work

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sheldonofosaka

sheldonofosaka

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:24 AM

First, let me state that I`m already being assisted by a member, however the topic started in the Malware section; I believe someone with expertise in Windows XP would be very useful as we seem to be running out of options.

the topic can be found here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573199/pop-ups-malware-and-unwanted-redirects-adwcleaner-trouble-as-well/?view=getnewpost

In short, I used adwcleaner incorrectly and cleaned critical sections of XP....I`m not exactly clear what those sections were but my functions where certainly compromised. I asked for help and was receiving assistance, but things went from bad to worse when I was told to uninstall my browser...under normal circumstances this would not have been a problem, I believe. Yet, with the compromised XP I seemlingly have no way to reinstall any browser. (I`m currently at a internet cafe and have been using my Iphone)

Moreover, the restoration function and administrative functions all seem to be compromised, so we cannot seem to undo what we`ve done.

I`m requesting assisantance from anyone with experiance with XP, at this point my main goal is to simply restore the PC and or reinstall a Browser.

Regards, and much thanks

Sheldon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

Hi sheldonofosaka :)

Since you are already being assisted in the Malware Removal section, you cannot ask for assistance on the same issue (or any other assistance related to that system) until you are done in your other thread. If you having questions or issues, please ask them to the helper in your thread.

Requesting a Moderator to close this thread to prevent confusion.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 sheldonofosaka

sheldonofosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

Aura, thank you for your reply.

And what if there is no solution?

#4 sheldonofosaka

sheldonofosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

I just received this reply from Nasdaq, who had been helping me.

May I suggest you start a new topic in the XP forum.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/56/windows-xp-home-and-professional/

As I previously say I no longer have an XP machine and some experts in the operating system will be able to help you better than I can.

Please do not close this topic.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

Alright since it was just posted, it's good. What's the current issue? You cannot install a web browser (if so, which one)? Or you don't have any Internet connection after using AdwCleaner?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,422 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:42 AM

Hi sheldonofosaka :)

Since you are already being assisted in the Malware Removal section, you cannot ask for assistance on the same issue (or any other assistance related to that system) until you are done in your other thread. If you having questions or issues, please ask them to the helper in your thread.

Requesting a Moderator to close this thread to prevent confusion.

I believe nasdaq has asked that he start a new topic here, which he has. I will leave this topic open.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:43 AM

Yeah sorry xpds, it appears that he posted this after I replied to the thread. I posted at 8:29AM and he replied on 8:34AM.

unite_blue.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:06 AM

This is just my personal opinion but since you do not have an XP install disk to do a repair and you do not have any restore points, I would pull any data off the computer you need and then do a factory reset. A factory reset would only work if the recovery partition is intact. You would need to reinstall any programs you installed after purchase.

You would need to pull the data off the computer either by attaching the HDD to another computer internally or by using a USB enclosure/adapter. You could also use a live linux disk to access the HDD and move the data to an external drive but you would need access to another computer to create the bootable disk.

What is the make and model of the computer?  Do you access to another computer to download and create a bootable disk?

From your post:

After choosing safe mode with networking
It has given me the option of
Microsoft windows xp professional
Microsoft windows recovery console

Can you access Windows Recovery Console?

#9 sheldonofosaka

sheldonofosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

JohnC_21,
Yes, I can access Windows Recovery Consule. I didn't have any luck with it but perhaps I didn't put in the the correct commands.

I have Acer Extensa 5620Z laptop.
I can ask friends for access to their computers...yet it is not convenient to do so.

By HDD, do you mean hardware data?

#10 sheldonofosaka

sheldonofosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

Aura,

I still have Internet access. For example Itunes and BitTorrent are still active. But I have no browser, I had been using Chrome.
Getting my browser operational is my priority.
adwcleaner was the cause of the original problem.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

I mean the hard disk. You still have internet?

First lets see if you have the recovery partition. Then we can see if you have any additional restore points which I doubt.

At the prompt of the Recovery Console type

Map <enter>

Is there more than one partition listed on the hard drive and if so what are the sizes listed?

Edit: See if using a Portable Browser gets you up. In the address bar type the following.

http://tinyurl.com/oflmepl

This will get you the exe of Firefox Portable. Double click it and install it to a folder on your desktop. In the folder doubleclick the firefox.exe file and hopefully you will get a browser that does not redirect.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 April 2015 - 08:54 AM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:51 AM

I'll leave John assist you since it looks like we are both going different ways. I was going to make you reinstall the browser while John might make you do a recovery. Anyhow, good luck in the process :)

unite_blue.png

#13 sheldonofosaka

sheldonofosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

John,

The thing is I cannot find an address bar. For example normally folders have an option to show an address bar, well clicking on that option has no result. There isn't an address bar anywhere. Perhaps you can direct me to where one should be, but I've not been able to find one. I believe the original adwcleaner destroyed that function.

G. Fat32. 10,001mb device\harddisk\partition 1
C. Ntfs 114244mb " " " 2
D. Ntfs. 114200mb ......3
E. CD rom
F.... CD rom

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,615 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:47 AM

I missed the fact that you do not have a browser. I was suggesting you open the browser and type in the tiny url so you would get a direct link to the firefox download without a redirect. Does Internet Explorer open? At the internet cafe is it possible for somebody there to download the portable version of firefox onto a usb flash drive so you can copy it to your desktop?

Your Fat32 partition is your recovery partition. It looks like you have two other partitions on the hard drive, one possibly being used for data. Unfortunatelty, this partition would be wiped out upon a factory reset. You would need to backup all your personal data from both partitions first.

Edit: Your recovery partition is listed as 10GB in size. Did this computer originally come with XP?

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 April 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#15 sheldonofosaka

sheldonofosaka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

John,
I have attempted to open the Internet Explorer on my desktop, but it will not open. Is there another location where it might open? I recall chrome was not opening properly after the problems started.

I'm no longer at the cafe, but I could try and ask a friend to do that.
What kind of USB flash drive should I use?
If it becomes necessary to back up everything, should I use some sort of external hard drive? If so what type?
Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users