Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Crashes, Exception Code 0xc0000005 ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 foscoe944

foscoe944

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:34 PM

If anyone can help, it is greatly appreciated.

IE 6.0 is crashing on my Win 98 SE laptop. Mozilla crashes similarly. Here's the message I get form IE:

"Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close...."

Here's what the error report contains. I don't know how to copy this, but I'll gladly supply more info if needed, I just don't want to type it all in if it isn't helpful.

"Error Signature
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 006e0069

Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
record: 0x000000000000000000 Address: 0x00000000006e0069

(next it lists 49 modules starting with MSAFD.DLL and ending with KERNEL32.dll, then several threads starting with Thread ID: 0xffc13fd)

I've tried repairing IE from the Add/Remove dialog and I've tried running sfc.exe to scan for altered files and found nothing. Neither helped.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:14 PM

First off, welcome to BC.

Proving once again that google it your friend, check this out.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 foscoe944

foscoe944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:15 AM

Thanks dc3, glad to be here.

I found that article on google too, it says the problem is occuring in Windows XP and I'm using 98 SE. It looks like I would be charged to contact Microsoft about their Hotfix if I hadn't correctly identified the exact situation they are describing.

I guess I'm just asking then, are you sure this is the correct solution since XP and 98SE are completely diffenerent operating systems?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:39 PM

After reading that in the light of day, no I'm not sure. It looks like this was intended to be used with systems that have DEP (Data Execution Prevention), W98 does not have it, and there is no patch available for it.

On a related note, you are aware that all support from MS for Windows 98 and ME will end on the 11th of this month.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 foscoe944

foscoe944
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:13 AM

Problem solved, I called MS about the hotfix you found. The hotfix didn't work, but did lead to them helping me fix it. They didn't charge me either, I think because they thought they were helping with a hotfix. They uninstalled TCP/IP (which I had done) but also deleted some things from the registry (which I hadn't done).

Yes, I ran accross that notice that support would be ending. Glad I got this done just in the nick of time.

Thanks for your help!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:36 AM

I'm afraid I was very much help in this instance, but I'm glad you resolved your issues.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:49 PM

I'm afraid I was very much help in this instance, but I'm glad you resolved your issues.

For some reason the edit option isn't available for this post, that should have read I wasn't very much help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users