Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total Commander will not activate!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ringdove340

Ringdove340

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:15 AM

I made a goof on not reading an email from "FedEx", and the notice had a spreadsheet note attached. When I clicked on it, Nothing happened right away, then my old faithful Total Commander would NOT appear from the icon.

Went to the trouble of reinstalling it, same grief. A friend looked at it for me, found a JavaScript EXE file in it, with a long series of listings that go places unknown. No virus scammer I use has any effect, and I need the Total Commander to do a lot of work.

Any ideas out there? I'm a tad aged to play games with this bug, yet I have a LOT of physical work to do that needs the 'puter. With hurricane season approaching, I don't need problems with this one system!

Thanks for any help.

Edited by hamluis, 22 April 2015 - 11:23 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fremont PC

Fremont PC

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:08 AM

Ringdove -

I would suggest you make a complete backup of your data to an external drive at this point. Do not overwrite any existing backups! There are some nasty trojans going around out there and some encrypt your data. You may not be able to get your data back afterwards unless you pay a ransom, and some that pay the ransom STILL don't get their data back. Disconnect from the Internet while you are making your backup (unplug the network cable from your computer). When the backup is complete, shut the system down normally and remove the backup drive. Keep it tucked away for now. 

As it's unknown what type of malware you've been infected with, it would be best for now if you could find another computer to access BleepingComputer forums, so no further damage can happen to the infected system. Keep a copy of the spreadsheet, it may help determine what kind of malware you've been infected with.

Your next stop is likely http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ , but get your backup and hang tight. One of the regulars here may have some other steps for you to take before you head over the the forum I just mentioned.

Edited by Fremont PC, 22 April 2015 - 02:14 AM.

#3 Ringdove340

Ringdove340
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:14 AM

Fremont,

This mess with Total Commander is happening exclusively to it.... nothing else is being affected. I noted that one other PC owner reported that his mother had a total crash, and has no idea on how to fix it. What I might do is disconnect from the Internet - at a BAD time, then reboot to a very previous time and see if that can get rid of the flaw.

I did NOT send any part of the attachment which causes the damage, I have much more respect for others than to pull a stunt like that, but anyone with an interest can get a typeout of the lines from me, or I can snail mail them.

Thanks for your help, I'm a busy old man now, and eventually headed for Linux, get off this junk XP that attracts the flies!

Ringdove

#4 Fremont PC

Fremont PC

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:17 AM

Ringdove -

Those addresses you found in the Java files typically are used to download the actual malware that will be used to infect your system. The fact that Total Commander isn't running indicates that it may have disabled certain functions in Windows that are needed for Windows to function properly and for Windows to protect the system. Most of the infections initiated by these Java files are Banking trojans (that silently steal your passwords of all types) and the aforementioned Ransomware that will lock you out of your system and hold your data for ransom. Don't be too busy to take care of this, or it will "take care" of you. My recommendations still stand. Run the system as little as possible until you get this infection removed. It likely will take special techniques to find the damage and reverse it, as this type of malware is designed to evade detection by most Antivirus programs.

The helpers in the aforementioned forum may likely ask you to upload the spreadsheet to a secure location that they use just for this purpose. They know how to deal with such files safely and will let you know where and when to upload.

Do you have a current backup of your critical data? Again, do not overwrite any existing backups.

Edited by Fremont PC, 22 April 2015 - 10:26 AM.

#5 Ringdove340

Ringdove340
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:22 PM

Fremont, et all;

I have "everything backed up", and two firewalls, there are few tricks I keep on my computers due to the vital "hobby" of watching for dangerous storms. Just had an exhausting day at physical therapy, then home to a near drowned hard rainfall yard, two horurs with making a mower work right. For the faitfhful helpers, thanks for waiting, there is help  on the way, now to think my way through the world of binary, and "leave myself set up as bait" for the bug to do more. Will try backdating everything, then notify the Microsoft staff, amid others. My cop experience of long ago is going to get an exercise, so it's now "catch the bug from the thief", and let everyone interested know what is amiss.

Thanks for all the suggestions, this is only one of a multitutde of bugs in my past, and three computers have been destroyed by criminals in the past. At this point, they're dead, and I'm still online!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users