Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't get Outlook 2010 to load

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:37 PM

I inherited my mother's laptop and was happy to see that Office 2010 was loaded onto it. However I have been unable to get Outlook to load and was hoping to find some advice here. It's a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. Here is what happens when I start Outlook.

First a window with this message appears: The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action. When I click OK, another window called Exchange opens with just two fields. 1) Microsoft Exchange Server which has att.net in there. that was my mother's ISP. So I put comcast.net in there as that is my ISP. 2) mailbox which had mom's name in it so I put my name in there.  I clicked “check name” and another window opens that says this: The name cannot be resolved.  The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action. I click OK to this and one more window says this: Cannot open your default email folders. the file "path name with .ost at the end" is listed and then it says "is not an Outlook data file".

I cannot figure out how to  get Outlook to open so that I can change any settings. any ideas on how to get it to load?

thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:15 AM

Does your Mom have a new computer herself that she is running Outlook on? If she does you might not be able to get that Outlook to work for you with your email address. Outlook is funny in that it usually just works with the original registered email address. Does the Power Point, Excel and Word 2010 work for you? Is it just the Outlook part that you are having problems with?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:38 AM

Does your Mom have a new computer herself that she is running Outlook on? If she does you might not be able to get that Outlook to work for you with your email address. Outlook is funny in that it usually just works with the original registered email address. Does the Power Point, Excel and Word 2010 work for you? Is it just the Outlook part that you are having problems with?

No, she doesn't have a new computer. I only know that Word works, haven't used any other Office applications. It is just Outlook. And I don't have the original purchase to get the license number if I wanted to uninstall/reinstall. Unless it's on the machine somewhere? hmmm, do you think that's an option?

otherwise, I do have another license on two of my other machines that I could install but I was hoping to avoid that route.

Thanks for the help!!

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,433 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:58 AM

The reason why I posted my suggestions above is because I use Office 2010 and I use Outlook on my main computer, but it is registered to my main computer and I can not get the Outlook program to work on any other computer. The Word and Excel and OneNote and Power Point I have been able to install on my Daughter's computer, but not the Outlook.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,433 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:06 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing. I am the original owner of my Office 2010 package and I own the physical DVD and registration code and I still can not get Outlook loaded into any other computer, not even my laptop. I think that it is a Microsoft thing with the server that services the Outlook program. According to my computer, the POP address for my email account is in Redmond Wa., even though I live in New Mexico

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:34 PM

That is strange because I too use Outlook on two different machines, same license, and it works on both machines??  so that's why I thought I could uninstall and reinstall with my other license. or maybe I won't worry about it. anyhow, thanks for your replies.

#7 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2015 - 04:05 PM

just wondering if there's anyone else out there with recommendations.

many thanks.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,433 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:37 AM

If you have not resolved this issue you should try loading one of your other copies of Outlook. Upstream you mentioned that you do have another license, you should just use that.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:48 AM

It sounds like your mother's existing email profile, or an old one, is still there. Go to Control Panel>Mail, click on Show Profiles, and delete any accounts you find there. You may also want to go in and delete the data associated with those accounts.

The next time you try to open Outlook, it should prompt you to configure your email account.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Remove-a-profile-d5f0f365-c10d-4a97-aa74-3b38e40e7cdd

https://support.office.com/en-za/article/Add-or-remove-an-email-account-5a74e3be-7e11-4d9b-99f7-08ec25e9d072

#10 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:37 AM

It sounds like your mother's existing email profile, or an old one, is still there. Go to Control Panel>Mail, click on Show Profiles, and delete any accounts you find there. You may also want to go in and delete the data associated with those accounts.

The next time you try to open Outlook, it should prompt you to configure your email account.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Remove-a-profile-d5f0f365-c10d-4a97-aa74-3b38e40e7cdd

https://support.office.com/en-za/article/Add-or-remove-an-email-account-5a74e3be-7e11-4d9b-99f7-08ec25e9d072

ah....I'll give that a try. thanks!

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 May 2015 - 08:46 AM

And I don't have the original purchase to get the license number if I wanted to uninstall/reinstall. Unless it's on the machine somewhere? hmmm, do you think that's an option?

I just read your post for the first time.

If the suggestion given by sflatechguy does not work, you can find out what the serial key number is if you want to reinstall using that key.
There are several good programs you can run to find it.

The first one that comes to mind is Belarc Advisor.

Install and run it. After it complete a web page will open with the results. Scroll down the section that lists program keys.

Others can suggest other programs for finding the key.

#12 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

that actually worked great!! but now I'm stuck trying to load files from another .pst

when I go to File, Open the Import selection is grayed out and I cannot select it? Does that have to do with the version of Outlook that this is? I just noticed it's a different version than my other copies of Outlook. It's the Home and Student version of Office 2010. Does anyone know how I can import a .pst backup file?

Thanks so much!!

#13 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

Was Outlook installed as part of the full Office suite, or as a stand-alone application? If it wasn't installed as part of a full Office install, some options are deactivated and will be greyed out. Thius also happens if it is a trial version, or hasn't been registered.

#14 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:55 PM

Was Outlook installed as part of the full Office suite, or as a stand-alone application? If it wasn't installed as part of a full Office install, some options are deactivated and will be greyed out. Thius also happens if it is a trial version, or hasn't been registered.

yea...wondering if it isn't a trial version. but it does look like it was part of the suite. it shows all applications under start. so, I will likely uninstall whatever version it is and install the license that I have.  thank you!

#15 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:14 AM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users