Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Win95 With A Win98 Full Edition Cd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Crizz44

Crizz44

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 08:04 PM

Does anyone know how you can use a full edition Windows 98se cd, to do an upgrade install onto
Windows 95? Thanks for your help ! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

I don't think it's possible. You need the upgrade version. And you need a license key that matches the upgrade version. The best you can do is save your files (somehow . . .) and install Win 98 SE from a cleanly-formatted drive.

FWIW . . . it's been my experience that an upgrade is junk anyway. My first Windows system came with 95 and a free upgrade. I got the upgrade a couple of weeks later and installed it and it was full of bugs. Things like Windows 95 menus popping up on the screen when you moved the mouse. I bought a 98 full edition and did it from scratch and it all worked fine - until I was able to get a copy of SE, which I immediately installed. (Not an upgrade!) I used to do a lot of gaming and re-installed from scratch about every three months to keep it cleaned up.

These days, I don't upgrade so often. Win XP has been running pretty smoothly for about a year.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:03 AM

If you don't have a CDRW invest in one. You will want one anyways. Save all your current data to disc and do a clean install. Of the options available with 98 the full install will be your best one. IMHO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Crizz44

Crizz44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 496 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

Thank you both for your help. I will install a cdrw and back up what I need to save. :thumbsup:

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 11:24 PM

Excellent. Glad to here you worked it out.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users