I posted this under Internet & Networking, but I still wonder if I may have malware causing this behavior, so thought I'd post here, too. For about 7-9 days I've been having problems loading Pinterest. It either loads partially (just a few pins show up, with lots of blank colored squares where the rest should be) or it doesn't load at all. My overall Internet browsing seems slower than usual, as well, but not for every website.
I use Google Chrome on a Windows 7 64-bit laptop. The problem seems to have started after recent Windows updates were installed. I did a rollback and it worked temporarily, but of course, there were security updates that needed to be reinstalled, and I'm not at all sure that the updates are the cause. Here's everything I've tried:
- Using IE or Firefox
- Clearing cache
- Cleaned computer with CCleaner
- Disabled, then removed all extensions
- Disabled Chrome's PepperFlash
- Ran Spybot Search & Destroy (deleted a few pretty harmless advertising/tracking cookies, turned up Win32.downloader.gen)
- Followed steps at http://malwaretips.com/blogs/win32-downloader-gen-trojan/ to remove Win32.downloader.gen (none of the programs found it, so I'm thinking it was a false positive?)
- Updated Java
- Ran Avast scan (no problems found)
- Disabled Avast temporarily
- Added https://www.pinterest.com as exclusion in Avast
- Disable Windows Firewall
- Ran Windows Defender (no problems found)
- Ran MalwareBytes (no problems found)
- Ran HiJackThis, removed Ask toolbar (I think it was installed with Java)
- Rolled back computer to before the problem started (helped, but seemed temporary/hit and miss)
- Ran an Internet speed test (came in at about 4.5 Mbps)
- Changed Internet wireless channels
- Flushed DNS
- Reset Hosts file
Disabling the Windows FIrewall did seem to help some yesterday, but today Pinterest doesn't want to load at all. Today I'm also having problems with some photos not loading on Facebook.
I'm beginning to tear my hair out here!! Any thoughts??