Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make my Netgear wi-fi router secure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bluelit

bluelit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

Hello,

I have a desktop computer and a modem to connect to the internet.  I wanted to add my laptop to the network and was told by Oceanic Time Warner that I need to get a wi-fi router.  The first two days I got an alert message from Kaspersky saying my wi-fi connection was insecure.  Now another message popped up see attachment.    I went to routerlogin.net and changed the password.  The router was assigned a name that I changed but I didn't change the password.   Any help to make my wi-fi router secure would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

Desktop: 

Dell XPS 8300

Windows 7 Pro

Kaspersky Total Security 2015

NetGear N750 WiFi Router   Model #: WNDR4300

Laptop:

Dell Inspiron 17R

Windows 8

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:02 PM

There are several layers to basic router security. These are -

The username

The router password

and Wireless security - of which there are three levels : None, WEP, and WPA-PSK2

You don't say if you went and bought this router or whether your ISP supplied it. Here, in the UK, if your ISP it supplied they now normally pre-configure security on it and supply you with the keys. If you buy it yourself, they normally come unsecured and you have to set security. Happily, this is not too difficult.

To access your router make sure it is turned on, turn on your computer and open the browser of your choice. Then type '192.168.0.1' (without the ' ') into the address bar and press enter. If this isn't the router's address you will find it on the back of the router, but this is the most common one. This will bring up the router log-in panel.

Here you are asked or a username and pass word. The username is the default - usually 'admin' - and the password is either the default or the one you changed it to, I'm not clear which password you changed. If it is still the default then you should change it when you get inside the router.

Once you are through the log-in screen you will come to a screen which asks you if you wish to set security on the router. Choose WPA-PSK2, this is the most secure level available to you, and choose a password or passphrase of any convenient length. MAKE A CAREFUL NOTE OF IT ! you will need it in a minute. Once you have done this, log out of the router and you will lose your wi-fi connection. This is normal and is nothing to worry about.

Click on your wi-fi icon on the taskbar and a list of wi-fi systems will pop-up. Select your system, tick the box 'Connect automatically' and then click 'Connect'. You will now be asked for your password or passphrase - I said you would need it !  Type it into the box, press enter and your computer will connect.

And that's it. Don't lose that password or phrase. If a guest or friend wants to use your connection while visiting, you will need to let them have, and you will need it if you want to connect any other devices by wi-fi.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 bluelit

bluelit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for your assistance.  I purchased the router and used NetGear Genie to setup the security.  I did all the things as you suggested.  However, I'm not sure why I'm getting the Kaspersky Total Security alert message saying my wifi connection is insecure or the message saying windows firewall blocked some features of Netgear Genie .  Could it be a bug?

Thanks again for your help! 

Edited by bluelit, 23 April 2015 - 02:31 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

Chris, I'n wondering if KTS is pointing more at the firewall rather than at the modem/router.  Do you remember long ago GRC/Gibson's Leak.exe which would test one's firewall?  Normally, Windows Firewall is more than adequate for most, whatchathink?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

The Windows firewall from Win 7 on is one of the most robust around and it is the only one I have used since I upgraded to Win 7 from XP.

Having had another look at the first post in this thread and the screenshot, i am reminded that I have had similar screens to this running Avast. I think - ie am not certain, but reasonably sure - that it is a warning like you get when you click 'Delete' and get 'Do you really mean delete?'. It is a safety net to give you a chance to decide whether or not you trust the source. If you do - proceed; if you don't - cancel.

In this instance, since the OP has a Netgear router and is running Netgear software, I think he would be quite safe to click 'Allow access'.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users