Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VLANS - VLAN Tagging and best setup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

Hi all! 

I currently have a network running IP cameras, PC's and other stuff. 

I am thinking of getting some VLAN switches and using them to separate the IP cameras and the main network. I am just looking for some advice on the best way to do this.

I have purchased some HP switched that allow you to setup VLANs so I have gotten that far. 

I am thinking of using a Draytek and having VLAN 1 setup for the main network and VLAN 2 for the IP Cam network. Then for example on the HP switches (48 port) I can setup the first 24 ports on VLAN 1 and the second 24 ports for VLAN 2. 

The question i mainly have, is for example as I have a few switches, I will need to link them all together, would I need to link 2 cables from the core switch to each other switch, one for VLAN 1 and one for VLAN 2 or are there other ways to do this?

I am not sure if this is what VLAN tagging is for so if someone could explain that to me that would be excellent too!

Let me know if there are any other ways. 

Each switch will be located in different buildings so I dont want to have to run two cables to each switch if not necessary, but something tells me that is what is needed especially since I am VLAN'ing. 

Let me know, thanks again all for putting up with my somtimes stupid questions :) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:20 PM

One connection between the switches and each connection contains all of the vlans. You would only run multiple connections if doing trunking.

Tagging is usually how you configure the switch connection points but different manufactures have their own ways of doing things.

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:42 AM

So i have one connection between each switch, for example port 1 on all switches and port 1 will be part of both the VLANS? Are you able to assign a port to multiple VLANS i cannot see how to do this I dont think. Essentially the cameras are pretty hungry as there are quite a few. 

Thanks! 

Edited by David Ashcroft, 22 April 2015 - 08:47 AM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

Make and model of the switches in question, please?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

So i have one connection between each switch, for example port 1 on all switches and port 1 will be part of both the VLANS? Are you able to assign a port to multiple VLANS i cannot see how to do this I dont think. Essentially the cameras are pretty hungry as there are quite a few. 

Thanks! 

Yes, a port can be a member of multiple VLANs - All VLANs, or all but one must be tagged.

So you'd set the "main network" ports as only untagged vlan 1, The camera network ports as only Untagged vlan 2 , and the uplink ports either as vlan1 untagged/vlan2 tagged; or vlans 1 and 2 both tagged (you need to do the same at both ends of the uplink).

Vlan tagging adds the VLAN ID and some other information into the IP packet header. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1Q for some basic info. Without that information the switch would only know which VLAN the packet belonged to as the value had been hardcoded into the switch config. With that info The VLAN ID is carried in the packet and additionally some information about the priority with which the packet should be handled is carried in the packet.

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users