Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trash Won't empty... "Yosemite"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jwf_1977

jwf_1977

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:24 PM

Can anybody tell me what this (see below) actually does?

Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and enter the following, pressing enter after each. First:

Code:
cd ~/.Trash/

Second:

Code:
sudo rm -rf *

It will ask for your password which won't appear on screen as you type (don't worry, your keypresses are being registered). That's it.

Note: that won't secure empty it but it will clean it out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:47 PM

Hello there, 

First, restart the computer then try to empty the Trash. If that does not work then try this instead:

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on solving Trash issues. You can also try using Trash It! to fix the problem. Or you can try this:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and paste the following at the prompt:

sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not echo to the screen so type carefully. Press RETURN again.

Hope this helps! 

#3 jwf_1977

jwf_1977
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

The reason I asked is because I performed the operation, and it wiped out the OS.

Fortunately I had the bulk of my files on an external.

Since then the Trash has populated with 3.5 million items to delete, so I reverted to a previous backup....and emptied the Trash, however to my surprise....when it reached Zero it began counting backwards and continues to do so, currently deleting -287000 and counting in an  upward negative direction.

What could it possibly be deleting negatively?

#4 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:22 PM

Don't use Terminal commands if not understand completely what they do. Using rm with placeholder like  the star (*) you risky unintended deletions without specifies the target folder or file.

Please read this Article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201583

Empty and recreate an account's Trash  --> Important: Read the Text marked in Red. 

At first uncheck the Empty Trash securely in Finders Settings --> Advanced tab and try again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users