Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell laptop will not shutdown completely & will not wakeup out of sleep mode

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gongdo

Gongdo

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:24 PM

Hi all, 

My system specs are the following: 

Dell 3537

Windows 8.1

i7 4500

8.00 BG RAM

x64

1T HDD 

Recently, I have been having issues with turning off my laptop. When I shut down the computer (through the user account 'log off, sleep shut down' option the laptop screen turns off but all internals are still audible and functional (fan spinning, HDD turning) and the the led power light and sometimes the processing led is on. I have waited over an hour with no change. the only way to turn off the laptop is a hard shut down, press and hold the on/off button. 

I have done this a few times and have encountered the much famed (blue screen of unsmiley death) that check the laptop and reboots and then all seems fine.

Now, if I do not want to shut down the laptop i will usually close the lid, where the laptop will usually go into sleep mode. The problem is when I open the nothing happens. Apart from the above scenario before i hard shut down again. 

I have updated all drivers, verified that there are no pending important (and optional) Windows updates and have installed all those too.

Also, have verified the power options too. All seem to be normal. I have reset all power settings and still no change. I have changed the power settings that my laptop never sleeps now. 

There are a few other issues (battery displaying 172 hrs remaining, very slow to boot now, sometimes cannot change the brightness, sound icon disappears in the taskbar) but I think I will have to solve these issues one at a time and form by forum. 

Thank you very much for those who take the time to help us users. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

Windows may be having trouble closing one or more open programs after you issue the sleep or shutdown via Start Shutdown or Start Sleep.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Gongdo

Gongdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

Thank you for replying RolandJS. When I shut down the laptop I would usually all programs i am running to avoid losing any of the data I have been working on. 

There might be instances that there may be programs running in the background (antivirus, firewall process etc) but I do not know.  

What you have stated in you reply could be the possible causes but does not address problem in finding a solution to resolve the problem.

Thank you for your time.  

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:53 PM

You're right, my post doesn't help the hardware end of it at all, however, I've learned that if Windows continually does not properly shut itself down or properly enter Sleep mode, Windows will continue to have problematic startups, worsen as time passes.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Gongdo

Gongdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:57 PM

Do you have any troubleshooting advise on how I could monitor or find out if it is actually a program preventing windows going into sleep mode and preventing it from waking up? 

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

Not directly, I have not found a Dr.Watson [famous on WFW311] for Windows 7 or 8.  Perhaps one of the BC tech regulars can name something in BC downloads area that will help.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:39 PM

Will it shut down using the start orb then the shut down button?  Using the user account button will not shut the system just shut your account, it is not needed unless you have multiple users. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Gongdo

Gongdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:44 PM

Hi OldPhil, 

Don't have the start orb, using windows 8.1 (unless im mistaken), i meant switching off the laptop clicking on the 'shutdown' option in the list of 'log off - sleep - shut down'. 

There aren't multiple users and there is only one user account which is my own. 

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:00 PM

OK I am a 7 user not familiar with 8.

#10 Gongdo

Gongdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:48 AM

That's ok, thank for your time!

#11 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:12 AM

This may work in the search box type sleep mode, see if a line saying change when the computer sleeps pops up if so click on it and set it to what you want.

Edited by OldPhil, 22 April 2015 - 08:12 AM.

#12 Gongdo

Gongdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hi Doppleganger, 

When you mean search box, where exactly do you mean?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:07 PM

The thing about shutdown in Windows 8 is it is not a true shutdown. It is more of a hybrid shutdown that allows a quick restart. It can be turned off in Power Management. You can also do a true shutdown by typing Run in the search box and using the following command in the Run box.

shutdown /s /t 0

/s is the shutdown switch and /t is the time switch where 0 gives an immediate shutdown. Make sure all your programs are closed before doing this.

#14 Gongdo

Gongdo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

Thank you for that JohnC_21. Will give it a try. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users