Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my computer infected or just dying?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MashaT

MashaT

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

I can't figure out if my computer reached the end of its life (or HDD crushing) or am I infected with some insidious virus.

My computer was always kind of slow upon startup, however within last week my default web browser - IE is really starting to bother me.

1) When I turn on my computer, after everything is booted on and internet connection is established, if I go to IE and attempt to open ANY website - google.com, amazon, etc and then attempt to navigate within it - IE freezes up (saying the X website is not responding) for about 5min, then it unfreezes and start working although slowly. Every time I either try to open a new website or click on new link thru new tab or new window - it freezes up for about a minute or two, and once X website is opened and first I click on any item or type a search keyword - it freezes up again for a minute or two.

Then sort of my computer/browser warms up and those little freezes stop, but upon startup - up they are there.

Furthermore, if I attempt to open a new browser at that time of those little freezes like Chrome or Firefox - they are not responding till IE unfreezes. Same for any other program/app as that freeze lasts.

2) I did a thorough virus check using Norton Antivirus, Malwarebytes free scan and Adwcleaner as well as TDSSKiller scan, got zero infections response.

3) Also, a new thing, sometimes when IE has those freezes and I try too hard to get other programs working, my whole screen goes black and doesn't responds. I did hard reset (thru power button) and when windows supposed to start I got same black screen again. Then I did safe mode and restarted thru it and after twice as usual boot up time lag, normal windows finally started.

4) Finally, I should also mention, about a month ago my computer went weird - my folder where I keep most of my files became "corrupted" and I wasn't able to access it and as I was trying to go around it my computer went into blue screen (of death) but upon rebooting my computer that blue screen was gone, then I did several disk error checking (and fixing) runs and everything started working again. However, just in case I backed up all my files and deleted that "corrupted folder" and created a brand new one.

And everything was fine till couple of days ago.

Am I infected or my computer is just dying? Processor seems warm enough, fans are working.

Any tests I can do to find out (short of opening up computer itself - in which I have ZERO expertise) what is wrong - Infection or End of Life for computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:09 AM

Hello,

Do you still need help?

Regards,