Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dv9543cl notebook update strategy

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 wilwon32

wilwon32

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:58 AM

The dv9563cl notebook (2007 purchase) has two 160 GB hard-drives and Win Vista HP os; the original motherboard was replaced after use for 2.75 years in 2010 and the fan was replaced in 2012.

Several years ago, I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on a 40 GB partition on Disk 1 (backup drive) as I had tried and liked the way Ubuntu works and it's reputation was appealing to this novice; a Grub 2 dual boot device was installed to facilitate os selection. At the time, I did not notice whether this Ubuntu installation had any negative repercussions with respect to behavior of the Win Vista HP which was installed on the original Disk 0. However, about a year ago, I noticed that the Windows Vista HP os management system recognizes the original hard-drive designations are reversed in the sense that Windows Vista is indicated to be located on Disk 1 while Ubuntu is on Disk 0.

I would like to upgrade Windows Vista HP to Windows 8 Pro/Windows 10, but don't know where/how to do this. I have considered erasing the Linux/Ubuntu partition prior to initiation of the restoration of the Windows Vista HP followed by a subsequent os upgrade, but would appreciate receipt of more competent suggestions. Another possibility is to simply remove Windows Vista when Windows 10 becomes available; in this case, Ubuntu may be installed on another partition on Disk 0 or it may installed as a virtual system so that the Grub 2 dual boot software would then not alter Windows' recognition of the designation of the hard-drive. Any/all offers/suggestions will be considered.  

Edited by wilwon32, 21 April 2015 - 08:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users