Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How do I get into my Dell inspiron N5010 advance boot options? F8 will not work.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mandabear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:09 AM

My old man's best friend divorced his wife a few years ago. She left a bunch of her stuff at his house. He has repeatedly asked her to come get her stuff & she refuses everytime. Since he bought it, he has the right to do whatever he wants with it. So instead of pawning it he gave it to my daughter for school work. She was so secretive around the time she left, that he doesn't know any of her passwords. It's stuck on the gmail/microsoft password login. He does have the admin password, but that doesn't seem to help at all. Is there anyway at all for me to access the advanced boot options without F8? I've tried F2 Which takes me set up & F12 which takes me to boot options. They both do not have the options for advanced boot options. Is there any hope for us to save this laptop. It's kinda old, but my daughter really loves it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:36 AM

This might help  http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/215458-repair-your-computer-option-not-working-restoring-factory-backup.html

Edited by Andrei_V, 21 April 2015 - 06:52 AM.

#3 OldPhil

• Members
  • 3,922 posts
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:07 AM

Nothing to add!

Edited by OldPhil, 21 April 2015 - 07:10 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:23 AM

Hello there,

Since you mentioned "Gmail/Microsoft password login", I suspected that the installed Operating System is Windows 8 - not Windows 7 (Windows 8 has the ability to link an user account to an email address).

In that case, F8 will not work to enter Advanced Startup Options (blame Microsoft, they changed it). Check this article to see how to access Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8.

#5 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,153 posts
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

There is a real quick way to find out if your have Windows 8 or 8.1 installed on this computer.

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key at the same time.

A menu will open if this is Windows 8.  

Click on System in the menu, this will provide you with all the information regarding the operating system.

If this is Windows 7 click on the Start orb startorb_zpsvudtmgfg.png, then right click on Computer and choose Properties.  This will provide you with all the information regarding the operating system.

Please post what operating system this is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users