Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVI-I from gpu to monitor? Or would DVI-D work fine?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 D3athbySp0rk

D3athbySp0rk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:16 AM

I have a old monitor i'll be using just as my secondary monitor. and sites claim it to be DVI-D dual link but, clearly. it's DVI-I dual link. my GPU supports DVI-I dual link and DVI-D dual link, and my understanding is that DVI-D male works fine in a female DVI-I. so could i just use a DVI-D dual link cable in both my GPU and monitor's DVI-I slots? or could this cause complications? Or there's also the option of VGA on my monitor. so i could go DVI-I dual link to VGA if that's a better option?

Edited by D3athbySp0rk, 21 April 2015 - 10:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

There should be no complications.  I would use the DVI-x over VGA as it should provide for more resolutions and sharper image display.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:31 PM

could i just use a DVI-D dual link cable in both my GPU and monitor's DVI-I slots?

Yes. DVI-I simply means that as well as the DVI signal that would be provided by DVI-D,  there is also the analog VGA signal provided on the extra pins on the same connector. Dual link refers to the DVI connection having two channels for double the bandwidth. It has no relation to the analog VGA.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 D3athbySp0rk

D3athbySp0rk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:35 AM

could i just use a DVI-D dual link cable in both my GPU and monitor's DVI-I slots?

Yes. DVI-I simply means that as well as the DVI signal that would be provided by DVI-D,  there is also the analog VGA signal provided on the extra pins on the same connector. Dual link refers to the DVI connection having two channels for double the bandwidth. It has no relation to the analog VGA.

Alright, good. what threw me off, was the monitor having a VGA port, and also a DVI-I. Never have seen a DVI-I on a monitor. 

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:07 AM

It would be unusual if the DVI input on the monitor actually carried a functional VGA connection. What brand and model is the monitor?

#6 D3athbySp0rk

D3athbySp0rk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:25 AM

viewsonic vx910.  it's a strange monitor, 1280 x 1024. (almost 1080p x'D, but more square) but i'm not complaining. was free. and will do fine for a 2nd monitor for web surfing. 

here's what the DVI port looks like on the back. 2w4bfqo.jpg

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:27 AM

Both my Sony and Samsung have have the ports I believe most all late monitors do.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,995 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:21 PM

It seems to be a standard 19" 4:3 monitor with VGA and DVI-D inputs. They may have used the DVI-I format socket so as to not prevent you from using a DVI-I cable if that's all you had to hand.

http://www.viewsonic.com.au/products/ppspecs.php?id=173

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users