Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus removal business

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 speer

speer

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:46 AM

Hello everyone.

I run a side-gig fixing computers and virus removal is one aspect of that. I currently almost strictly use Avira as a go to for scanning and virus removal. Ive used Malwarebytes and Kaspersky rescue disk, but these seem redundant to me and prolongs the process which Avira can do. I personally always recommend a nuke and reinstall with Windows since theres never a 100% guarantee with viruses (in a practical sense) and it since I already charge peanuts it lessens the load instead of spending countless hours / days trying to revive an infected system which consists of checking emails and Facebook.

Now id like to ask what sort of virus removal suites and applications other businesses use in their practices. Many Ive talked to said they're propitiatory, but im thinking its just readily available virus removal software bundled on to a USB drive. The ones ive talked to speak quite highly stating an almost guarantee it always removes any virus issues and they never have to reinstall Windows like I mentioned I prefer to do above. I can imagine they have this virus removal and tune up suite lined up and run it like clock-work to streamline things.

Does anyone have any insight to what some companies use or what procedures they do?

Appreciated! :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 1PW

1PW

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:11 AM

Hello speer:

Study a few dozen threads in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and you will quickly see what the certified professionals use.

If you are going to "nuke and reinstall" anyway, why are you bothering with other anti-malware solutions? Just curious...

Cheers. :)

All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

#3 speer

speer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:19 AM

I will look through there.

I dont always go the nuke and reinstall method if the client has important information they want to keep. It really depends on the situation.

Lastly, when I advertise virus removal to people I want to know how to do it the best I can and to know all procedures the competition does doing the same practice.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:48 AM

Does anyone have any insight to what some companies use or what procedures they do?

There is no universal procedure or process. Experts here prefer to see comprehensive logs created by tools such as FRST...then determine what needs to be fixed and plan a strategy for disinfection.

Others may just run a series of disinfection tools. See the List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-spyware in these topics:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users