Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: Need new LAPTOP for gaming and college

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 batbotsg1

batbotsg1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:44 AM

Laptop or Desktop? I'm looking for a laptop,as i'm going for college,and it needs to me portable,however,weight is not a problem.

My budget for the new computer is: <2000$

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? My primary use of this would be Programming,coding,etc(basic computer science)

What software do you intend on using on the computer? Latest windows

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? Yes,high grapical games like skyrim,gta v,etc.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? NO,a few,maybe 2-3 programs.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?around 30-40 gb of music?not many pictures

Will you be overclocking?NO.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?USA,california

How many monitors are you planning to use?Only the laptop screen.

Do you need peripherals? OS? Windows

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Going to college

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

Budget will be the determining factor, you are looking at 1200 to 2500 US.  Once this gets going ask which ones to avoid!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

I like the laptop options at xoticpc.com  I would check out some of their options and then if you can't decide on one feel free to post a few links to what your looking at and we can critique one or another for you.

#4 batbotsg1

batbotsg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:58 AM

I'm looking at a range of 1000-1400$. Im thinking about the lenovo Y70 touch? Any comments?

#5 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

While Notebookcheck for the Y50 doesn't state any obvious concerns about the laptop; spending over 1300 for a laptop I would rather go for one from MSI or ASUS.  They are built a little sturdier and have better cooling not to mention models in that range have a MUCH better graphics card.  I personally do not care for the ' multi touch ' or  ' touch ' displays.. ever gone to the local coffee shop and seen the screens where touch is enabled.  They are so greasy and icky right where your trying to see.. looking through a mass of finger prints --it's just a personal turn off for me.

Anyway those are my few cents.

#6 batbotsg1

batbotsg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:34 PM

Actually the lenovo Y70 touch is coming for $1249 whereas the msi are going towards $1800 which is out of my price range. Personally I'm not a fan of touch either, but there's no rule of having to use it.

#7 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:06 AM

Have you looked at http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/category/notebook/ I bought one a little over a year ago and had no problems with it, yet..

Just a thought. :idea:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

Far be it from me to sway you away from the lenovo if you have your heart set on it and I am not sure which MSI you are looking at but the MSI Apache / Dominator and Leopard series are all in your price range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users