Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Disc Defrag

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Junior2007

Junior2007

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

I use Auslogic Disc Defrag on my PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. Does Windows 7 have a built in defrag program? Do I need the Auslogic program as well?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hi Junior2007 :)

Windows 7 indeed have a built-in defragger called "Disk Defragmenter". For more information on it and how to use it, you can read the tutorial below on SevenForums.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11733-disk-defragmenter-open-use.html

As for the other question, do you need another defragging program, I would say no since I'm trying to use as most Windows built-in tools as possible to cut down on the bloat and don't install programs I don't need, however third party defraggers are often more powerful than the Windows one and offer more features. So if you have a use for it, then yes it's a good program to add. Auslogics Defragger is good, there's also O$O Defrag or Defraggler if you want to look them up. The choice is yours :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Yes, Windows 7 provides its own defragmenter, and IMO it's quite adequate. But if you are happy using Auslogics, there's no particular reason why you should not continue to use it. I use it on my legacy systems that don't have SSD, and find it satisfactory. If you haven't ever looked into the menu options, it might be good to note that Auslogics default mode is a basic file defrag, in the interests of speed. If you want a thorough optimization you have to choose the more advanced options.

With defrag, its best to settle on one utility and always use that, since there's no single "correct" way to implement drive optimization, and using different defrag utilities can result in them wasting time and effort undoing each others operations.

I'd also suggest not bothering with the sections of the Auslogics Defrag that suggest your system needs attention from further utilities - this advertising is of course what justifies Auslogics business model providing the defragmenter without charge.

Edit: Ah, Aura posted while I was distracted from the computer!

Edited by Platypus, 20 April 2015 - 08:07 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Junior2007

Junior2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. The defrag program in Windows 7 is not an automatic program, it has to be manually activated, correct? I think that is what I was trying to understand. I only use the standard defrag option on the Auslogic program, I avoid all the extra "stuff".

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:51 PM

I used Auslogic for quite awhile, currently I use Puran Utilities which also has a good defragger.  I try to steer people towards the OS's defragger, it does what it is suppose to.  Most all of the other offerings have other tempting programs within, some get to playing with things and get in trouble especially fooling with the registry DUMB DUMB!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:51 PM

You can easily schedule the Disk Defragmenter in Windows :) Here's two tutorials showing you how to proceed, one by HowToGeek, and one from a Microsoft Support article.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/configure-disk-defragmenter-schedule-in-windows-vista/
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/schedule-regular-disk-defragmenter#1TC=windows-7

If you have a SSD in your computer, I suggest you to disable the auto-defragging or scheduled defragging for it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

- I personally would recommend to run the build-in Windows Defragmentation program every week or month. Because it also will optimize a number of things regarding the files on your harddisk. That increases overall system performance.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

- I personally would recommend to run the build-in Windows Defragmentation program every week or month. Because it also will optimize a number of things regarding the files on your harddisk. That increases overall system performance.

Defragmentation does not increase the overall system performance.  With a hdd that has a lot of fragmentation the read/write head has to move more to read or write files, this slows down the read/write speed.  Defragmentation restores files to a more contiguous state which can reduce the read/write head movement restoring the read/write speed.  This is very specific to the hdd, not the overall system.  

If you wish to optimize the hdd further, you can use the Disk Cleanup utility.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users