Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Other Computers Not Visible In Workgroup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 warcat

warcat

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

Hello

I have one PC that is running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3, and three computers running Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Everything has been running fine on this peer-to-peer network, being able to share files, etc. Today, however, the XP computer does not see the other computers in the workgroup. The other computers can see the XP computer and access its files. In fact, for a while, the XP machine could not even get into the workgroup! Now it gets into the workgroup that the other computers are in, but it still cannot access them. I've checked permission on all the computers, and they should allow sharing among them. I reset the tcp/ip stack on the XP computer, but to no avail. I even tried changing the workgroup name on the xp computer, rebooting, changing the name back to the original workgroup and rebooting, changing the name of the xp computer, but nothing has worked. I have no problem accessing the networked printers; just with connecting to the other computers in the workgroup.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

check the win7 firewalls and make sure this xp pc is allowed by name.

#3 warcat

warcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:57 PM

This is too weird. I had time to work on the network issue this afternoon. I went to the XP computer, clicked on computers in the workgroup, and ALL THE COMPUTERS WERE THERE!!! There was only one I could not access immediately, so I restarted that one, and then I could get on that one, too. I did nothing at all to the XP computer. Very strange... 

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:40 PM

Not really, workgroup sharing is sorta like that. Provided there is nothing blocking it just sometimes a reboot will make the PC go from "Who? What? Other PCs? You crazy?" to "Oh Yeah...those? I know about them" it's stupid but not out of the ordinary.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

It's the election process.  Again most likely a firewall setting was to blame.  Whoever won the election as to who is browse master doesn't have that issue which is why it works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users