Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

roaming folder in windows 10 is missing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TgxLEGENDz

TgxLEGENDz

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:03 PM

hello guys i have recently upgraded to windows 10 technical preview, and i am trying to mod minecraft, but i have learned that you cant just search %appdata% anymore to find your appsata folder, and you actually have to find the path to find it. well i found the appdata folder but there is only one this inside it, and that is the local folder so when i open the app data folder i can only go on this path appdata>Local>Microsoft>Windows and the worst thing is that there isnt anything inside any of those folders please help

UPDATE: i learned how to show hidded folders, and now i can find my roaming folder but there is nothing iside it it just changes my path from  appdata>Local>Microsoft>Windows to  appdata>roaming>Microsoft>Windows

Edited by TgxLEGENDz, 20 April 2015 - 04:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

Hi TgxLEGENDz :)

I can confirm you that %appdata still works and it brings me in C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Roaming. %localappdata% also brings me in C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData\Local. If these variables aren't working on your side, then they aren't well set. Do you want to check it out?

Also, in addition to enabling the hidden files, folders and drives, go back in the Folder Options and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended). Let me know if more files and folders appears.

Edited by Aura., 20 April 2015 - 04:29 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 TgxLEGENDz

TgxLEGENDz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:42 PM

where do i s type in %appdata% because when i search that in cortana it just opens up the store

UPDATE: ok so in unchecked the hide protected operating system files (recomended), and now when i open my roaming folder all the files i wanted to see are there so thank you very much for helping me figure this out bt is there a way to have the folders in my roaming folder show up without all the other millions of files show up that are present when i uncheck that box??

Edited by TgxLEGENDz, 20 April 2015 - 04:47 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

You would have to remove the "hidden" and "system" attributes from these files and folders. Personally, I don't recommend it. If they are hidden at a certain level, it's because it's meant to be that way and there's no reason to alter it. Also, I guess that Cortana doesn't handle environment variables, but if you enter it in the Windows Explorer, or Run box, then it'll work.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users