Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Type Of Virus in form of harddisk error prompt

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RobTheGeek

RobTheGeek

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:02 PM

Hi Recently my system has been getting the following error(attached) it really looks like a virus/trojan/malware to me but I'm not sure so I'd thought I'd ask the experts I've run Rkill with no malware processes detected, hitmanpro which caught a lot of cookies, malwarebytes(free) which caught nothing and my avast has'nt picked up a thing.

Please see attachment, can you tell me how I can get rid of this virus if it is a virus, and how to prevent something like it in the future I am thinking of buying either kaspersky, bitdefender,eset(although i tried the online scan which found nothing), or emisoft, my dad's got norton which I'm not a fan of, especially since my computer is slow, although I heard kaspersky uses a fair bit of system resources too.

virusharddrive.jpg

Anyway I thought I'd ask the experts,

Cheers

PS: Also I've been exiting this window by clicking the red x to terminate, I don't click any of the buttons, it comes back up every 30 min or so.

Edited by RobTheGeek, 20 April 2015 - 04:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

Windows detected a hard disk problem is a legit Windows error message.

You should start a new topic in the applicable Windows Operating Systems forum for your system or Internal Hardware forum. This forum is only for those who need assistance with malware removal.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 RobTheGeek

RobTheGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 12:31 AM

Windows detected a hard disk problem is a legit Windows error message.

You should start a new topic in the applicable Windows Operating Systems forum for your system or Internal Hardware forum. This forum is only for those who need assistance with malware removal.

Hi I only asked because some people have said it is malware because the red X is not the default one on the windows messages, or something like that.

I want to be sure I indeed have a hardware/software problem and that it is not actually malware cleverly disguised as one.

That is why I asked in this forum.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:36 AM

You have to be careful when conducting Google searches on the Internet as there is a lot of misinformation out there. When performing search queries, always check multiple sources to confirm the information provided is consistent and essentially the same.

When searching for suspicious files, new malware or malware removal assistance (and removal guides) on the Internet, it is not unusual to find numerous hits from untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information. This is deliberately done more as a scam to entice folks into buying an advertised fix or removal tool. In some cases if the fix is a free download, users may be enticed to download a malicious file or be redirected to a malicious web site. In other cases you are referred to contact the site's Tech Support for assistance which is only provided for a fee and many times the actual amount is not disclosed until after you have committed yourself. Do not follow such advice or download any removal tools from unknown or untrusted web sites.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users