Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Vista or not? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Will you upgrade to windows vista or not?

1. Yes (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

2. No (15 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

3. Maybe (10 votes [30.30%])

Percentage of vote: 30.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Daniel3679

Daniel3679

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 05:49 PM

is windows vista just a jazzed up version of xp i mean i havent really heard anything overly exciting about it
Dan - If its not broken dont fix it

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:36 PM

I won't. I tried a beta version, and I'm not impress much. I thought my machine was going to be able to use it, however I'm low on RAM and such.

RAM-1Gb
processor-AMD 64 San Diego 2.2GHz 3700+

#3 Sage46

Sage46

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:09 PM

Not until they have at least SP4 ready for it I won't
Sage
Just an old flatland cowpoke

#4 nyiddle

nyiddle

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:21 PM

I haven't found anything wrong with Windows XP, and I heard that in order to use Windows Vista you pretty much need an entirely new computer, so unless I can get enough money to get a computer to run Vista I'm sticking to XP and Linux.

Edited by nyiddle, 04 July 2006 - 11:21 PM.

Posted Image

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:54 AM

Linux is good, I don't ever think any version of Windows will be able to compete with the security of Linux. However, Windows has the edge of compatability over Linux.

#6 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:39 PM

"boot to the head" or vista? hummm...I think the "boot" would be less painfull overall :huh:
and i don't have to buy a new "Fast-n-Fancy" computer to let it infest.
I'm using DSL 3.0 (or 01) right now and it surfs just fine. I can download to my HD
I don't watch movies or do games or music (I'm a boring old fart :huh: )
and will use old '98 for off line "stuff" if necessary. surfing and email is all I care about
and DSL seems to cover that pretty well even if it's not as user friendly as windoze :huh:
I wish the best of luck to all who end up buying Vista , I really think you're gong to need it.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#7 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 02:03 PM

the answer to this poll is no. Vista is not a 'jazzed up' version of XP. In fact it is ten times better, more secure, and faster. Unlike XP where there are so many numerous issues, I have yet to find an issue with Vista.
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#8 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 04:29 PM

I am kind of looking forward to using vista upon its final version release. I am interested on how big of a step it has gone over XP, not the beta version but its final version next year.

I will not be buying however as a piece of software, i will wait and buy a new system with it already installed. So better start saving now then!
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:47 AM

While there's a lot of older code used - there's a lot of new stuff that's not just eye candy.

Security is much, much better - as is usability for new users. Networking, the installation process, driver detection, assorted system restore options, ReadyBoost - only to name a few! :huh:

I like it and am very glad that 5456 is stable enough to run as my primary OS
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 KSerge

KSerge

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:47 AM

A lot of the basics have been revamped for the better. Even the interfaces we've used for decades have gotten a decent makeover (such as word 2007's no drop-down menu design).

My only issue with it right now is compatibility with my older games, and some optimization issues (I had to install winamp lite to play MP3's while gaming, since WMP took too much CPU/Memory).

#11 Diogenes

Diogenes

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:24 PM

I'm beta testing the operating system for the company I work at, and I'm not fond of it, except for one of the built-in games. Having, as I state in my signature, grown up with Windows 3.1 and DOS, I'm quite familiar with where everything is in the drop-down menus and I trust them much more than I trust a mere toolbar. MSO2007 is especially egregious in this respect, because in addition to the absence of drop-down menus, the toolbars are locked in place (I pray that this is only a beta version characteristic, but I fear otherwise.) It seems that in some respects, Microsoft is making the same mistake that Coca-Cola made in the early '80's with that whole New Coke debacle - the "My computer" interface looks like the Macintosh file managing interface. (I'm not saying that I prefer the old Windows "my computer" interface over the new interface.) From the perspective of an office computer user, I don't really care for it.
-WR, child of DOS & Windows 3.1
Win98SE, XP Pro, Vista, Red Hat 8.0, Red Hat Enterprise 4.0

"Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate."

#12 Gaming Guru

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:35 AM

Vista... erm, seems like mostly eye candy to me, expect for the couple new features, I read about it in PC World... I haven't tried out Vista as such yet, probably because of my dialup connection making it impossible to do so...

My computer would seriously never run Vista, well... maybe if I got a video card so the RAM would actually be 512, not 512 - 64 for onboard video.. it might run the basic version, but otherwise I'm doomed with this computer.

Strangely enough, this computer was over $900 canadian and is only about a year old... and when I bought it, it had 256 MB of RAM.
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6GHz Processor / 1GB RAM / Toshiba Satellite A100-VA3 / Windows Vista Home Premium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users