Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Issues: Blue Screens and Infinite Startup Loops

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spore18

Spore18

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

I don't think both of these issues belong in Windows 7, but I think it would be easier to have them condensed into one post. That being said, here we go:

Issue 1:

Problem:

When I start up my computer, it often shuts down as it's booting up, usually before the motherboard logo comes up but the time it takes to shut down again varies immensely. It then automatically tries to boot up again and once again shuts down, usually within a similar amount of time as the first time it shuts off. It first showed up a month or so ago, I wasn't doing anything spectacular with the computer, it was just paused on a Youtube video as I was AFK for a bit. I then came back to find my computer struggling to start over and over again.

Solutions Tried:

This is actually an issue that has resurfaced rather than continued, so at first I had it fixed for a while. I managed to fix it the first time by simply reseating the graphics card and RAM, which may have just been a coincidence because this time that seems to have little effect on the issue. As for the root of the cause I'm not sure. My power supply is fairly new so I'm hoping that it's not broken, and it's not the graphics card or RAM as taking out either hasn't changed anything this time. I've also tried different outlets in the house, so I don't think the outlet is the issue. I would say that this one is the more urgent of my two issues as it is blocking me from my computer entirely, but I think I could get around the second issue by installing and using Linux for a bit until it's sorted out.

Issue 2:

Problem:

When I'm lucky enough to get around the first issue, I run into the problem of Windows either freezing on the "Starting Windows" screen or freezing/blue screening a bit after windows starts up. It seems to be random on whether it blue screens or freezes, but either occurs after about a minute or two of use. On top of this, it also freezes during any kind of advanced boot for windows. Also, the BIOS froze once while I was using it but I'm not sure how significant this is.

Solutions Tried:

I've checked for errors in both of my drives and little has come up for either, and by some miracle I actually managed to use the advanced startup function that brings your computer to the last functional instance of Windows but it doesn't appear to have actually fixed anything. Besides this, I haven't tried much to fix the issue but I do know that when I try to start in safe mode it freezes at aswRvrt.sys and the STOP code for the blue screen is 0x00000135.

Minor 3rd issue that may or may not be relevant:

My computer sometimes doesn't recognize the SSD that Windows is installed on when I boot up, and sometimes it blue screens on startup 2-3 times before it actually starts up. I've always attributed this to my SSD being some crappy refurbished little thing that was probably a bad investment and all it seems to be doing is making startups sometimes take a minute or so longer than usual, but who knows, maybe it's the root of this whole catastrophe. I don't have the STOP code for this problem.

Well, I think that's all the relevant information on these issues, here are my specs, they should be accurate apart from the RAM not being the exact models listed: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Sporemaster18/saved/YGY9TW

Thanks!

Edited by Spore18, 20 April 2015 - 02:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

I have a sneaking suspician these issues may in fact be related.  I checked 3 websites on this stop error, all 3 were unanimous in proclaiming newly installed hardware or software to be the culprit. 

It might in fact be your hard drive - do you have another one you can just swap into the system to be sure? 

Also, have these issues been occuring only since you put in your new SSD or since you replaced your PSU?  You mentioned your power supply is "fairly new," how new is it?   

Edited by dudeage, 20 April 2015 - 03:43 PM.

#3 Spore18

Spore18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

I've had the SSD as well as issue 3 since I first build my computer about 2 years ago, but the PSU is <1 year old (sorry I'm a bit fuzzy on dates) since I replaced it after my old one fried itself and my motherboard. How would swapping the hard drive work? Do I just take a hard drive with Windows installed and plug it in instead of the SSD and boot up? If that't the case, do you think it would also fix issue 1 since we'd first need to get past that to properly test issue 2?

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#4 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

Hmm...ok, if you've had the issue since you have had the PC for about 2 years now and you only bought the PSU last year, I guess we can rule out the PSU. 

It seems your hard drive is a good place to start, as that's connected to 2 of the issues you've mentioned. 

It would be impossible to guide you through swapping out a hard drive if I'm not there in person, but here's a page that would give you a good general idea: 

http://www.data-r-us.com/help/desktop-drive-removal-instructions.html

Make sure your PC is completely powered down before starting, that's the only thing I have to add, really. 

Since the issues appear related, I wouldn't worry about the order of them now. 

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2015 - 04:55 PM.

#5 Spore18

Spore18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:22 PM

Okay one last thing before I try it, would a live Linux flash drive work for testing if it works after I take the SSD out or should I get another hard drive with Windows installed?

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2015 - 04:55 PM.

#6 dudeage

dudeage

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

I wouldn't, shouldn't be a need to.  If a different hard drive works fine in the system I'd say you have your answer to the question.    

If another Hard Drive works I'd say at this point you've likely fixed your problem and go ahead with rebuilding the system again. 

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2015 - 04:58 PM.

#7 Spore18

Spore18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:49 PM

Well already just unplugging my SSD from the system doesn't fix issue 1. I have a feeling you're on to something with issue 2 but I can't really test it until issue 1 is gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users