Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem person on network

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 KC13

KC13

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

To start, I know little or nothing about wifi network connections. We are a group of people sharing a house and wifi network. We have noticed that since one person has arrived that when he is connected, everyone else in the house has problems save the one person who is hardwired. This new person will not allow anyone to check his computer for viruses etc.

My question is: How would one go about checking what is happening when this person is connected? All we really know is that his system cannot be pinged or Tracert'd. I don't know whether that is significant or not, they are the only tools I have ever used.

With all the crap going on over the internet, the rest of the residents here are concerned about any illegal activities tainting us.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

First thing all of you need to do is make sure your anti-virus is up to date. Normally in a home LAN environment I do not recommend a firewall* but in this situation, I would highly recommend one to help protect every one's PCs. If everyone is paying equally for the internet and this one person is being the jerk, I'd go into the router and see if there is a QoS or something like that you can set to throttle their internet. You can slow it down enough that they'll ask about it, might open up an opportunity for dialog about their usage. If you post the make and model of the router we can help a bit more on what you can do and see. 

*In a home LAN situation anything that can get past your router will get past your firewall. In my experience, 98% of the stuff that gets on your home PC you let in through email or opening stuff that you let through your firewall. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

first thing I would do is logon to the router and go to the screen that shows attached devices.  I would note his mac address.  Then I would go to the dhcp server config page and do a ip reservation on that mac address so he always gets that ip address automatically.

Next I would configure my pcs software firewall to block that ip address.  This will prevent him from snooping your pc and would prevent malware from attacking you from that pc.

I would also, in addition engaging QoS, engage logging in the router to get an idea where he is going/doing.

#4 KC13

KC13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

The router is from Bell (I'm in Canada) and is a Home Hub 2000. Without knowing what to look for to begin with, it looks like options are very limited from a settings point of view.

It's not so much what is coming in, I am protected by anti-virus, but the whole system slows to a crawl when he's on.

#5 KC13

KC13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

Further, I am using Windows Firewall (Windows 7 Ultimate). How do you block an IP address in that?

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

antivirus isn't going to protect you from him snooping.

http://www.howtogeek.com/112564/how-to-create-advanced-firewall-rules-in-the-windows-firewall/

scroll down to get to the block by ip part.

I take it you are on a wifi connection?  Wifi always loses over a wired connection.

If you have any port control over the router you can try setting his wired port to 10meg instead of 100meg.  Otherwise you need to get another router that does have QoS control and put it in.  You would need to get the home hub in bridge mode.

#7 KC13

KC13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:24 PM

I'm not clear on one point. Do I enter his IP address under the Local or the Remote area to tell the rule what to do

#8 KC13

KC13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

Yes, I'm on a wireless connection as is he. Another person in the house uses the wired connection, but there are no problems when he is on. The only time we have problems is when the person I mentioned is home and connected to the wifi. (I know, clear as mud, but I'm out of my knowledge zone here.)

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

I’m not a networking person but I’d like to throw in some comments.

“All we really know is that his system cannot be pinged or Tracert'd”

--- I think it’s very important

--- Can each of you ping and tracert each other?

--- Maybe he’s created a hidden network

The router is a Home Hub 2000

--- It appears all of you share the cost of your ISP’s plan

--- Is the wireless Home Hub 2000 router provided by your ISP or is it your own that needed to be configured to work with your ISP?

--- Is there anyone among you who know how to access the router and evaluate its settings?

--- Are the passwords known among all of you in order to get into the router?

Maybe he’s figured out how to access the router and configured some settings in his favor

--- Have any of you tried to access the wireless Home Hub 2000 router recently?

Consider having a meeting with the residents with the intent of reaching a solution

--- Frustration is just going to mount up and unequal use of your wireless system is more than unfair

Option 1: Hire someone who is well qualified your system and can give you a reasonable solution

--- Even if it costs $50, maybe $75 each it’s worth it

Option2: Dispose of the wireless Home Hub 2000 router and get the ISP provided wireless router and have it configured so no one can make any changes

If his computers performance (security and/or maintenance) are issues but cannot be determined I don't know how to address that at this time but you do need to find out what's going on with your networked wireless system

Who’s in charge of making the payments? What is that person’s attitude on the situation?

#10 KC13

KC13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:59 PM

“All we really know is that his system cannot be pinged or Tracert'd”

--- Can each of you ping and tracert each other? Yes we can.

--- Maybe he’s created a hidden network No idea on how to check

The router is a Home Hub 2000

--- It appears all of you share the cost of your ISP’s plan No, the home owner pays, we rent from him.

--- Is the wireless Home Hub 2000 router provided by your ISP or is it your own that needed to be configured to work with your ISP? ISP (Bell provided)

--- Is there anyone among you who know how to access the router and evaluate its settings? The owner gave me the password and me only

--- Are the passwords known among all of you in order to get into the router? No

Maybe he’s figured out how to access the router and configured some settings in his favor

--- Have any of you tried to access the wireless Home Hub 2000 router recently? I have, but see few ways to change settings.

Consider having a meeting with the residents with the intent of reaching a solution

--- Frustration is just going to mount up and unequal use of your wireless system is more than unfair True, and there are other issues with this person as well

Option 1: Hire someone who is well qualified your system and can give you a reasonable solution

--- Even if it costs $50, maybe $75 each it’s worth it Good Idea!

Option2: Dispose of the wireless Home Hub 2000 router and get the ISP provided wireless router and have it configured so no one can make any changes See above

If his computers performance (security and/or maintenance) are issues but cannot be determined I don't know how to address that at this time but you do need to find out what's going on with your networked wireless system TRUE! I came here as I was helped on another issue. I know nothing about wifi.

Who’s in charge of making the payments? What is that person’s attitude on the situation? The owner has told me to figure it out as I'm responsible for collecting the rent, lol.

If it comes down to cancelling the account, I will recommend it and those of us that trust each other will get our own account.

Edited by KC13, 20 April 2015 - 09:00 PM.

#11 adamforum

adamforum

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:16 PM

I've been in your situation before back at college... three people want to use the Internet like normal people and then there is the one guy that leaves his computer downloading off bit torrent 24/7.  I always knew what was happening when my SSH connection started getting choppy while typing...

The QoS suggestion is gold.  If you're adventurous you can find guides online for flashing many consumer grade routers to use DD WRT, enabling all sorts of nice features for ensuring everyone gets a fair slice of the bandwidth.

A

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:52 PM

It appears to me that it's how he's using the computer and unfortunately even though there have been some good suggestions, I'd have a hard time following through on them because my WI-FI skills are pretty limited but I hope you will have good luck solving what needs to be taken care of.

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:23 PM

First thing, never make changes to a router over wireless. But as long as you don't click Save or Apply, you can go have a look. So what I suggest below do on the wired PC, just don't save the password if asked. =)

The address should be http://192.168.2.1 then the username and password the owner gave you. On the left side there should be 3 main sections with sub sections: Home, Settings, and Device Status Management. The last section click on: Network Device(s). Then to the right it will have a map or list look above that and you can switch. Find his computer in either, shouldn't be hard to figure out which is his. You might be able to click on it and manage access or maybe QoS(but I can't find that info for certain about QoS). But the Access Control is when he can connect and for how long. Not sure how detailed it is, the manuals I can see don't get into too much detail. Again, this could be just to force him to have a convo about what is going on. It will piss him off but him hogging all the bandwidth is kinda pissing off the rest of the house lol. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:28 AM

CaveDweller2 mentions "hogging all the bandwidth" and that makes sense with me

So I did a hogging all the bandwidth search

http://www.bing.com/search?q=hogging+all+the+bandwidth&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTTR&conversationid=

I can't tell which one could be helpful to you but check them out

#15 KC13

KC13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:41 AM

Another thing we noticed last night. On the system that is hard wired, we tried to block him at certain times and couldn't do it. The settings would not save. We tried everyone else, and were able block them at certain times. Only his system seems to prevent blocking him. We manually reset the modem and still the same problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users