Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What should I upgrade ? (I'm a noob)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 T2ueskills

T2ueskills

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

Hi, I bought this computer a couple years ago. Since then, I have done some upgrades. I'm wondering what I should upgrade now. Thank you all for your time and input. 

The motherboard does not support dual graphics cards by the way, otherwise I'd get another graphics card. Oh yea, and the motherboard does not support overclocking. I dislike this since I have a 

water cooler which would allow me to overclock. 

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03639067-12

M3970AM-HP (Angelica2) Motherboard Operating speed: 3.8 GHz (up to 4.1 GHz turbo) Number of cores: 6 Socket: AM3+ Bus speed: 5.2 GT/s HT3

AMD FX™-6350 Six-Core Processor, 3900 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)

10 GB Ram PC3-12800 MB/s DDR3-1600

Eyefinity Radeon HD 7570 Graphics Card Integrated IDT 92HD89E Audio

1.5 TB SATA Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM Hard Drive

internal ATX 460W Power Supply

Windows 8 OS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upgrades I have done since then include the following:

Ge Force GTX 760 Graphics Card (1058 Mhz graphics clock, 6008 Mhz memory clock, 1152 cuda cores, 4096 MB GDDR5 256 bit Memory)

Sentry 3 Fan Controller

H100i Corsair Closed Loop Water cooler

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD 

Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Full Tower Chassis PH-ES614L_WT White

650 W power supply

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by T2ueskills, 20 April 2015 - 02:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thehuntedone

thehuntedone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

It looks like you are pretty maxed out for that motherboard.  You have room for more RAM (upto 16G) but that wont make much of a noticeable difference with the SSD upgrade you have already accomplished.  Water cooling is good, but may have been a waste of money unless you plan on overclocking, but with that HP motherboard ... hrmmm  don't know.

I would have went with a 750W instead of the 650 but it should take care of you.  If you start getting any sort of lock/reboot issue you may want to try a PS upgrade.

Otherwise, if you can ... its time to get current on the motherboard so you can really do some worthy upgrading.  But, unfortunately, Mobo means at least a new processor as well.

I suggest Portatech.com, they have some nice builders for really good prices.  You could probably get a nice barebones and move all your extras for less than $400. 

Good luck!

Edited by thehuntedone, 20 April 2015 - 03:03 PM.

#3 T2ueskills

T2ueskills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:34 PM

Why Can't I just use my current processor with a new motherboard ? 

http://portatech.com/products/product.cshtml?id=70311&o=85697

This is saying that the speed rating is 7040.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:52 PM

I don't see why you couldn't use a different motherboard with the processor.  A decent 990FX based board would be able to overclock and support SLI etc.  Before you do, something to consider is if you are using an OEM (HP supplied) version of Windows, you may need to buy a new Windows license.  A new motherboard is considered a new PC in MS's OEM license, as far as I know.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 T2ueskills

T2ueskills
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:00 AM

Here is an upgrade I came up with. I could run both GTX 760's at the same time and overclock that processor to 4.5-4.6 ghz

Total $832.97

Or I could do the following upgrade instead. Here I could overclock the processor to 

4.89 ghz and then later down the road upgrade to the latest amd fx processor ?  

I'm reading that AMD Fx processors are not very good for gaming though :(

Looks like most games do not utilize all the cores in a processor. Funny how that intell i5 4690K

blows away all of the amd fx processors. 

Use the current AMD FX™-6350 Six-Core Processor, 3900 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard $175.00

Windows 8.1 System Builder OEM DVD 64-Bit by Microsoft $91.71

And I guess I'd have to get a larger power supply since I'd be overclocking.

Total $405.00

pros: I'd have a backup motherboard that's compatible with amd fx processors. Down the road, once I buy a new amd fx processor, I could reuse the old one with my  old motherboard along with a 450w power supply I have laying around or that 650W I currently am looking to replace and use an old graphics card I have laying around to have another desktop. Do I really need two desktops though lol ? 

Oh wait, nevermind, I have no idea if the processor I currently own can be overclocked. It could be a locked processor :/

Are there motherboards that can unlock a locked processor ? 

Edited by T2ueskills, 21 April 2015 - 04:12 AM.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:53 AM

The FX-6350 is unlocked, so you should be able to overclock it.  Using standard off-the-shelf parts to build a gaming or enthusiast PC is a good idea because you are able to get exactly the components you want with the features you want.  If you want to use SLI, you will need a different motherboard since the M3970AM-HP uses an AMD 970 series chipset which does not allow for multiple GPU's, which you are already aware of.

The AMD FX series processors, especially the 8000 series, is plenty for gaming since most games utilize the GPU much more heavily than the CPU. 

You could upgrade the GPU to a GTX 970 or 980.  If you're considering a platform change to Intel, you may want to wait until Intel's Skylake processors are out during the second half of 2015 since this will be a significant architectural change and will require a new motherboard due to the socket being different.

3939.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users