Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 pro and rt

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Brat1

Brat1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

I recently had a tablet die Asus 121 e slate with an i5 processor.

Got an asus transformer for a back up and found out it is rt.

Won't run a lot of my stuff. I'm I going to have to buy another full blown computer i.e. surface pro etc. if I want to use a tablet?

Not a geek.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:54 PM

Hi Brat1 :)

The choice between Windows RT and Windows 8/8.1 pretty much depends on the CPU of the tablet. If the CPU doesn't support x86 architecture, you won't be able to install Windows 8 or 8.1 on it. Is it possible to have the full product name of the tablet you bought so I can look up the specs?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Brat1

Brat1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:53 AM

Thanks this helps a lot. :) :)

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

No problem, just let me know when you have the tablet model so I can look it up :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

One of the big problems here is secure boot, on window rt systems it is usually locked to windows rt and nothing else, it might prevent you from being able to load a proper OS like windows 8 or 8.1. Can you still tke this device back to the shop you bought it from? Explain that at the time of sale you were lead to believe it was windows 8.1 and got it home to find it was rt and they might be more willing to refund it or swap it for something capable of running a proper operating system, if you tell them you would happily "refund" it by swapping it for a windows 8.1 device and paying in cash the difference in price they'll probably be also more willing to "refund/swap" as they would still be getting some sort of sale to you.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Brat1

Brat1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:54 AM

I have decided I need to bite the bullit and go to a pro 3. Part of my problem is the asus slate I had was a 64 bit.

Is there a secure way I can scrub my info from this thing and send it back to a factory setting so I can sell it without worrying about what is on it.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

I don't have any experience with this tablet, but from what I read online, restoring it to its factory values isn't that hard.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t25297501-restore_asus_b121_factory_settings

You could always use CCleaner to wipe the free space, then do the factory reset.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 Brat1

Brat1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:12 AM

thanks

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

No problem Brat, my pleasure :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 Brat1

Brat1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:53 AM

After doing a factory reset how do I get rid of the files with my microsoft account information that I use to sign in to windows 8.

I assume it will still be there.

Can I delete it before the factory reset?

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:23 AM

If you do a Factory Reset, when you start the computer for the first time after, you'll be asked to log in a Microsoft account or a Local one, so your old Microsoft account shouldn't be connected on it anymore.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 Brat1

Brat1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:15 AM

Thanks again.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:50 AM

No problem Brat, my pleasure :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users