Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up some sort of custom appearances on browsers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

Is there any means I can use to set up custom appearancesa on browsers, recently I've found myself thinking I was in one browser (chrome or FF) while actually in the other and I would like to set something up so I can't possibly not know which browser I am in at the time. Obviosuly there are differences in the interface but they are not instantly apparent If one is too focused on the web page being viewed and doesn't think to look at the corners of the screen. Is there any means by which I could set it up so for example:

Internet explorer has a bright yellow and black striped warning appearance on parts which are usually grey, and text somewhere in the top bar sayng " YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING IE".

Chrome has a blue and green stripy appearance in the normally grey bits and a piece of text somewhere visible saying " YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING CHROME".

Firefox has it's boxes and bars grey and has a note in the top somewhere saying " YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING FIREFOX".

Any thoughts on setting this sort of thing up, or other means of making it VERY visually apparent which browser one is usign at any time.

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 20 April 2015 - 11:41 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:57 AM

I remember in the old DOS days, we used to hack command.com and other such files and change the wording, or add wording.  I'm not sure if present day FF, GC, & IE have such user-hackable "faces."  Let's see if others can give us what we need.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 April 2015 - 11:58 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

Would rather NOT have to fiddle with command line interfaces, hoping there are ways which involve changing some settings or finding some image fles buried in the program files folder and editing them.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users