Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 trevorcork

trevorcork

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:53 AM

I have auser in a company we deal with he is getting a new windows 7 machine so i must transfer all his stuff from xp, too make sure i get all his persoanal stuff what exactly should i copy in xp?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

Hi trevorcork :)

Looks like you're going to do what I did for a year when we migrated from Windows XP to Windows 7 here. Of course, you should back up everything in his userprofile (Documents and Settings\Username), like the Desktop, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, etc. Is there any program settings or else that he needs to take in back-up or not? I could copy/paste you a quick batch script that would back-up the userprofile if you need.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

Ya would you do that please,and he has programs he uses like opera and stuff for documents i cant rransfer them they have to be re installed am i rite? and eset anti virus,how do i get the licence to re inmstall it

#4 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:13 AM

The senior enginner is no longer with this company im only an intern so i want too make sure i do it rite, also he has a large pst file do i just export that and import it then

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

You can follow the tutorial below to transfer the ESET licence from one computer to another.

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2213

For the programs, you'll have to reinstall them. If they require product key (like Microsoft Office), I suggest you to grab them first. You can also export and import the .pst file (for Outlook), see the instructions below.

https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Export-Outlook-items-to-an-Outlook-Data-File-pst-14252b52-3075-4e9b-be4e-ff9ef1068f91
https://support.office.com/en-ca/article/Import-Outlook-items-from-an-Outlook-Data-File-pst-431a8e9a-f99f-4d5f-ae48-ded54b3440ac

In your case, if the .pst file is already created, you just have to "import" it once on the new computer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,507 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

Aura, would OP running Belarc help get those different license numbers?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

i think when i looked the other day there was a few pst files in his folder,i just take the biggest one? and also do i still have to create a new outlook account on the new machine or can i just open the existing one?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:56 AM

This is ProduKey by NirSoft, or Magical JellyBean.

i think when i looked the other day there was a few pst files in his folder,i just take the biggest one? and also do i still have to create a new outlook account on the new machine or can i just open the existing one?

You'll have to configure the account and enter the information, yes. Do you guys use your own Exchange server? Is he using a domain user account (on the Active Directory)?

Edited by Aura., 20 April 2015 - 11:57 AM.

unite_blue.png

#9 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:02 PM

and with regaurds too office,can i use the product key from the installed 2010 on his xp machine or do i need a new one

#10 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:11 PM

hes on a server in the company on active directory

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:00 PM

If you uninstall Office 2010 from the Windows XP computer, you'll be able to use the product key he used there on the new Windows 7 installation. Alright. Once I get back home, I'll post the script. Basically, it'll create a folder called "backup" on the C: drive of the Windows XP computer, and you just have to move that folder on a USB or somewhere else in order to move it back on the new Windows 7 installation.

unite_blue.png

#12 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

am i better off going too the pst file location and copying the pst file too my extrernal hardrive or should i go to outlook,file,open,import- export to a file etc,which way is better?

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:22 PM

Personally, I would simply copy and paste the .pst file from the old to the new location, and if it doesn't detect it, then I would use the "Import" feature on the new computer with Outlook to import it's content.

Right now, you need to back up:
  • Desktop;
  • Downloads;
  • Documents;
  • Pictures;
  • Music;
  • Videos;
Is that right? Do you want me to make you provide me a list of installed programs just in case I can see something else that should be taken care of?

Edited by Aura., 20 April 2015 - 09:22 PM.

unite_blue.png

#14 trevorcork

trevorcork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:22 AM

hio yes thats what i must back up ill just go into documents and settings and take them from there,i notice he has a few pst files so how do i know which one to take,prob the biggest one ya?

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

What's the name of these .pst files? Do they have all different email addresses?

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users