Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing system files in XP - Use Safe Mode and the Recovery Console or Linux?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:12 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win XP Pro SP3, and have run Runscanner and Autoruns in order to locate possibly missing system files (I do not want to run SFC /scannow as I think it is too powerful for me). Both tools found several ones missing, so I consequently ran several CMD (DIR) commands and SystemLook in order to locate any available backup copies of these. And luckily it turns out that seven missing files actually have existing backup copies.

These files are named as follows: isuspm.exe, CTDetect.exe, Changer.sys, i2omgmt.sys, lbrtfdc.sys, i2omp.sys and ViaIde.sys. The first two belong to Intel and Creative respectively, and the last five files are all Windows system files.

I would like to know: What is the best method to restore these system files safely; either use Safe Mode and the Recovery Console (from the Windows CD-ROM), or Linux Lubuntu or Xubuntu (on a CD-RW)?

I understand that I cannot repair this while running Windows, so anyway I obviously have to work with Windows offline. :whistle:

Please let me know if you need to see these logs, and if so I will post them as necessary. :busy:

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 21 April 2015 - 05:50 AM.
Moved from General Security to the appropriate forum

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fremont PC

Fremont PC

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

Autoruns will list some system files with a path of  "file not found". That is normal. 

http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic4719.html (item #12)

Are you having some particular problem running Windows? 

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

AutoRuns is a tool for advanced users since it does not have the ability to recognize unsafe or dangerous items...it only displays what it finds. You should not uncheck anything without investigating first.

If you're going to use Autoruns, be careful using it and be sure to read the following before doing anything on your own:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:11 PM

The only tools for restoring damaged/missing system files:

a.  The sfc /scannow command.

b.  A repair install or clean install of Windows.

At times...reinstalling the latest SP may also restore some files which have become damaged or missing.

Louis

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 762 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:24 AM

Hi, Fremont PC, quietman7 and hamluis!

Thank you all for the prompt and informative replies! :)

After reading this article, I must admit that all of you have given me piece of mind.

http://forum.sysinternals.com/autoruns-v872nmissing-files_topic11781_post98514.html#98514

Seems like the missing system files belong to ancient hardware which I do not have, although my computer is 9.5 years old. :lol:

@Fremont PC: No, fortunately enough I am not having some particular problem running Windows; neither error messages nor BSODs.

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 762 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:40 AM

Hi again, all!

I do realize this is quite a bit late, but anyway I would really like to apologize for having forgotten to include some important sentences in my previous post, so here goes:

Thank you all for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:09 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users