Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retro gaming build

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 aod_

aod_

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

I’m thinking about building (or resurrecting) and old PC for a bit of retro gaming.

I’d like to run DOS/Windows games from around the late 80’s up to around the mid/late 90’s.

The PC I’m going to build this around is an old Mesh PC which I heavily upgraded between 1999-2005. I can probably revert it back to original specs if it helps.

• Intel PII MMX 350MHz
  • 768MB RAM (can reduce if required 128MB originally)
  • Matrox G400 MAX 32MB (originally Intel 740i 8MB)
  • Hard Drive – Not sure, but I have a load which should work, around 40-250+ GB – maybe even the original 8GB one.
  • Sound Blaster 64 / Audigy Player (can’t remember which)

I don’t have an original CRT monitor anymore, but hoping my 19” Widescreen will suffice?

Just looking for some advice on the best hardware and software config to run old Games etc and which platform is best. I was thinking probably DOS 6.22 (separate partition) and Windows 98 SE (DOS 7.1).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:20 PM

Your specs look good for games from that era. Use your 8GB drive, anything larger might cause problems when installing or booting Windows 98.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 enemyofthestate

enemyofthestate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

have you considerd running the old games on a game emulater? like     MAME i think thats how to spell it

#4 shadowninetr3s

shadowninetr3s

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

Not bad at all.

• I would recommend getting a USB PCI card to make it easier to transfer files between your current PC and your retro build.
  • I believe Windows 98 SE is a bit nitpicky with drives >=137GB
  • 768MB should be plentiful for Windows 98 SE (i wouldn't recommend going higher than that
  • Depending on your BIOS, you may or may not need to use a DDO to use larger drives, but 8GB should be just fine
  • Windows 98 SE's DOS mode should suffice for most, if not all MS-DOS games.
  • I would recommend installing KernelEx for the occasional newer app.
  • I recommend installing Virtual Clonedrive and PowerISO so you won't need to use and wear out your disc every time you need to play a game that requires the CD-ROM in the drive.

I myself own a retro gaming desktop (Dell Dimension XPS T500) and laptop (Dell Inspiron 5000), both running Windows 98 SE and have full MS-DOS gaming compatibility. As a matter of fact, i'm typing this from the T500 (via Opera via KernelEx). I can give the specs for both if you want.

Edited by shadowninetr3s, 10 May 2015 - 12:52 PM.

#5 sev7en2507

sev7en2507

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:56 AM

Good morning,

in loop to that great discussion.  I would like buy a laptop to dedicate for the retro-gaming where to install Windows XP and with the support of the 800x600 maximum resolution (VGA/SVGA).

I would like also a dedicated graphic card inside (Rage?) and... Sound Blaster! :) Any suggest?

Cheers,

#6 fyshstyx

fyshstyx

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:45 PM

Your computer is already good enough. I just recommend a 800x600, 640x480, or a 320x240 VGA TV or monitor. I know a website with good games called Emuparadise, it is where I got Duke Nukem 3D from. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

#7 karuvally

karuvally

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:30 AM

Windows 98 in it's stock form does not support Hard disks greater than 137 GB.

But an MSDN post here (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/78592-enable48bitlba-break-the-137gb-barrier/) suggests a method

to implement 48bit LBA thereby allowing Windows 98 to support larger drivers.

I used to have an Athlon PC running Windows 98. What I remember is that, whenever I tried running it with more than 256 MB of RAM,

the system became very unstable.

You can also install Windows 3.1 on top of DOS 6.22 and launch all your games from there, or maybe encounters with retro software?

Have fun friend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users