Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading current rig?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 d0dUxDJ

d0dUxDJ

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:24 AM

Hey there people, it's my first post here (aside from the introduction).

I currently have my own configuration, it's 2 years old now but it still serves its purpose pretty well;

thing is, I'd like to switch to dual monitor (one being desktop, the one I have right now, and a 144hz monitor for gaming purposes), and still retain this processing power.

Let's start off by dropping my current rig:

- AsRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard

- Intel i5 3570k (not OC'd) processor

- MSI GTX 670 Power Edition OC 2GB

- Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB

- Crucial M4 128GB

- Corsair TX750 power supply

- Corsair Vengeance Blue low profile 2x4GB DDR3

- Cooler Master HAF-X full tower case

- Cooler Master Storm QuickFire Rapid keyboard

- Roccat Kone Pure mouse

- Samsung S22B350H led monitor

- stock cooling

I think that's it? If I missed something just let me know. So yeah, that's the current rig, I'd like to upgrade to dual monitor as I said before. I'm not sure if I want to change te processor yet, but I surely don't want to bottleneck the possible new gpu. Do you suggest a SLI of the current card or a replacement?

I'll have some spare money in a couple months, so it's pointless to evaluate the situation right NOW, but I'd just like some advice, for example, would a top tier VGA be limited by my current CPU? Will the VGA fit in my case (I'm almost positive it will, but still, I'm no professional)? Do you suggest upgrades for mouse or keyboard? I also need a good mousepad but I don't think this is the correct section to ask that.

Would you recommend some different air cooling rather than the stock? I bought one, but at the time I was inexperienced and didn't notice it was for a different motherboard.

Budget is around 1500 dollars, and could go up a bit if needed. Sorry if I added some stuff not regarding PC upgrading, but I think it's still pretty related right?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by d0dUxDJ, 20 April 2015 - 10:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:30 AM

What you have now is no slouch, have you tries the second monitor off your current card you might be OK with it.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 d0dUxDJ

d0dUxDJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

What you have now is no slouch, have you tries the second monitor off your current card you might be OK with it.

Yeah I considered keeping everything as is, but I don't have the second monitor yet so I can't really test it right now. I'm a fan of high framerate, I'd like to keep over 120/144 fps at high resolution and graphic settings, I play competitively on some fps games so I absolutely need every little advantage I can (e.g: CS:GO), if only I had an online calculator to test this... As I said, I really want to upgrade; do you recommend waiting for the new cards that are (supposedly) coming out shortly? Thanks for the reply!

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:35 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, I do not believe frame rates suffer with a second monitor, the monitor does not take power just receives signal.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 d0dUxDJ

d0dUxDJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:54 AM

Correct me if I am wrong, I do not believe frame rates suffer with a second monitor, the monitor does not take power just receives signal.

I'm not completely sure on how monitors impact on the video card, but I suppose it wouldn't be much of a hassle to handle the second monitor itself, but I still want to upgrade, wether it'll be now or later. So I can keep my current rig for now (since you mentioned it's still decent), and wait until more stuff pops up in the market. Thanks for your replies doppleganger!

#6 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2015 - 04:33 AM

is this true? i've always heard that two monitors requires twice the GPU power, but from what you're saying it sounds more like a PSU issue...

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users