Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions on a tech business I've thought of.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Maxumas

Maxumas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:15 AM

My business idea is merely just a business idea as of right now so I'm not on here to try and get people to sign up for something. This idea came to me just recently and I've been doing some research on it since (Month tops). I however want to see what the Tech world thinks of it and if it would be something you as a tech would want to be a part of.

The main concept is techs can work locally part-time or full-time (entirely up to the tech) and make about 80% of the cost of services done, Having customers choose who they want to come maintenance their desktop, laptop, or tablet from a small detailed profile about the tech and the services they offer. This would allow customers to have a choice of whether they want the same tech they had previously or wanted someone new. 

I figured this would kind of be a no brainer for any tech to do at least part-time for when you have available time and could use a good piece of change for doing what you do on a day to day basis anyways, Plus the tech would make their own hours entirely. The reason I know this is because personally I have worked for a company where I Fixed computers daily making just over minimum wage and hour when I too was selling these services. Where that company on the other hand made at least $1,000 on services I did and that's after they paid me for that days work.

I appreciate your thoughts and any advice as well. I will be on daily to answer any more questions you may have.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:01 AM

While this is great for the workers, it isn't sufficient for the owner.  There is a reason the companies make $1,000 a day when you're making minimum wage.  They have to pay insurance, advertising, billing, and so on.

Then you run into the issue of managing the techs.  You're going to have to run background checks on them to try and prevent problems and you're going to have to be able to certify their skill sets.

Next you need to think of how problems will be handled.  What happens if a customer isn't satisfied with the work?  I know from being in the business that tech skill levels can vary widely.  Those that have good technical skills may not have good people skills.  What if your tech kills or rapes a customer (Uber and Comcast have both had to deal with this).

#3 Maxumas

Maxumas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

I have thought of ways to be able to verify certain skill sets such as possible over the phone interviews or tests. I'm sure doing background checks wouldn't be an issue to do. Also I need to look over legal requirements to run the kind of business I look to do such as Insurance. Advertising I think I and a few buddies can manage for the start up at least(Considering I want to kind of start off in the South Florida area).

As far as a customer not being satisfied with a techs work they can rate him and leave a review ( a little incentive to make sure techs are behaving professionally), And if the problem is the customer believes to be having the same issue after the tech worked on the computer, we will work into getting a little remote access group to be able to check the computer and fix the issue if it still exists.

I believe any at-home service will or could run into the problem that a tech raped or killed a customer, with that being said I would look more into how to prevent or resolve those kind of situations.

And I again thank you for your ideas those are things I will add to my research.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

This has been happening in Australia for years mate, they always advertise jobs and the agencies never pay them on time so literaly every week is a new job ad.

Everyone now knows not to work for people like this business model (Not saying yours will be the same) because in the end the guy who books the appointments ends up wantign more and more $.

Problem is that there is no business location and people can disappear very easily, business likes to be able to bang ona  door if a problem arises.

Anyway good luck with it all mate, you would be better of just working for your self.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users