Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

General Question

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:51 AM

What is the feeling of the experts on this forum, about the  Hirens CD. Is it a good idea to burn a copy of it for general use, or is it too advanced?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:16 AM

See Wikipedia .

This tool has nothing to do with General Security, topic moved to All Other Apps.

Louis

#3 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Thanks hamluis, I was wondering where to put it.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:22 AM

Per Grinler, site Admin: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/382841/recommending-isos-of-windows-recovery-discs-or-pre-made-isos-of-winpebartpe-discs-is-not-allowed/

Recommending ISOs of Windows Recovery Discs or pre-made ISOs of WinPE/BartPE discs is not allowed

...This topic is not meant to be a debate on whether or not these should be allowed to be downloaded. I too agree that Microsoft does their users a disservice by not offering a free Windows Recovery Disc and have repeatedly reached out to contacts at Microsoft to try and push this through. The reality, though, is that no matter what our personal feeling is, the download and use of these types of media is not legal. Therefore, I will not allow the use or referral to these types of downloads at BleepingComputer.com. By referring people to these downloads and telling them to use them, we are effectively telling them to pirate copyrighted software without their knowledge. This is not behavior that I can condone at BleepingComputer.com.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with using or telling others how to use WinPE or BartPE to generate these types of bootable CD/DVDs from their own Windows Installation Media. This is perfectly legal as long as you do not host and distribute the CD/DVDs that you have generated. In fact, we encourage everyone to create their own bootable recovery environments in the event that your computer becomes unbootable in order to further aid you in fixing such problems.

So with this said, effective immediately, members are not allowed to refer other members to pre-made bootable CDs using licensed Microsoft technology or files, such as WinPE or BartPE . Furthermore, we do not allow our members to refer other members to ISOs of the Windows Installation Discs or Windows Recovery Consoles.

Edited by Union_Thug, 21 April 2015 - 04:23 AM.

#5 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

I thought that the Hirens CD was just a load of anti-malware tools

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

George, I looked at the long long long list of Hiren CD 15, and it appears to contain two pieces of Microsoft's XP and something else. Grinler's correct, we cannot recommend anything containing something from Microsoft.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 georgehenry

georgehenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for the info. I have had a computer for several years now, but I obviously don't understand all the politics.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:09 AM

we cannot recommend anything containing something from Microsoft.

Roland might have expressed this better !  It is not that MS products cannot be recommended on BC - obviously they can and are - it is the fact that copyright exists in them and copying them is in breach of Microsoft's copyright. It is the copying of these products that creates a legal problem and liability, not the use of them.

The Hirens CD you refer to contains a large number of tools for the maintenance and repair of computers, but it also contains an installable copy of XP which is a Microsoft copyright and that is why we on BC cannot advise you to use it.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:51 PM

Thanks Chris!  I was in a hurry when I badly typed that  :)  You expressed exactly what I should have typed.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:57 PM

Further to my #8 above, there has been a change of policy in the last 24 hours by Grinler - the site owner - and it is now permitted to recommend the use of the Hirens CDs !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users