Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird CRT monitor

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:01 AM

I have a CRT monitor (AOC - Product Name: 771S - Model No.: F1770) which looks weird

I don't know if it can be fixed or not.

Because file is large, I can't post them directly here.

This monitor is "bent" on both left and right.

M4SjPn7.jpg

And it is fullscreen, but the part that was supposedly on the top is now on the bottom.

NvJR1n7.jpg

When I try to edit image distortion -> pincushion and pin balance, I can't edit it and even if I try, it just stays at 100 while other image distortion are working normally

bZHo9RZ.jpg

My solution to this is just to run in window (so not fullscreen) and fit it until I like it

gLNCOgJ.jpg

Can this be fixed? Or not? I know this is old monitor, but I dont have money to buy one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:17 AM

Try turning it off, leaving for a few seconds, and back on. This will allow the degaussing circuit to work, which may help your problem.

It may take more than a few seconds - leave the monitor off overnight for the best result (a PTC resistor needs to cool)

Edited by PhotoAce, 20 April 2015 - 12:54 AM.

#3 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:14 AM

by turning off, disconnect from the power or just simple on/off?

#4 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:22 AM

You need to leave it to cool, so just off, ........some hours later, back on. One of the causes of distorted pictures on CRT screens is magnetisation of the picture mask, inside the tube. There is a circuit built in to correct this, but this works best if the screen is cold.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

It could also be just that this monitor is suffering old age. CRT TVs used to start showing this problem with age although I have never seen one as badly affected as yours.

If the suggestions above don't work, it may be time for a new monitor. Apart from anything else, a modern flat screen monitor will free up a lot of desk space for you to clutter up like mine! It will also use a lot less electricity.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:36 PM

The other possibility is that it is the video output of your computer. If degaussing doesn't fix the problem, borrow another monitor and try that on your computer, just to rule this out.

#7 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:12 PM

I left this off for 7-8 hours, still having it.

Maybe It's time i need to buy something new. (Even though im still 15 years old)

The entire computer set is already 7 years old.

#8 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:19 PM

Age doesn't mean a computer is is of no use - mine is 5 years old. 

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:36 PM

There is a crt menu setting to cause this effect.  You sure someone in the office isnt messing with you.  I remember playing tricks on my coworkers in the past LOL.

I don't remember what the setting is called but I would say it is either the menu setting for the monitor that has been changed or the tube could be going out.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:26 PM

By appearance, the monitor might have a couple of problems possibly interconnected. The curvature at the sides is called barrel distortion. One possibility in an older monitor is that electrolytic capacitors can deteriorate with age, and can cause many fault symptoms, including ones like the vertical positioning foldover problem. The barrel distortion could also be this, but considering the microprocessor seems unable to adjust parameters for it, it could be something like a burnt pin on a pincushion transformer, so the micro is getting no workable data about the status of east-west pincushion.

As already suggested, a CRT monitor is a poor prospect for repair and a major problem is usually the cue that it's time to find a more modern one.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:41 AM

A couple bad transistor reguators and you see the result.  A savvy tech would make quick work of this but the question is why??  The cost of repair would exceed the purchase price of a new LED/LCD unit or is CRT's are essential, a used unit in good working order would be and easy purchase at a flea market for $20.  Good luck.

#12 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

I rememberd the setting is called pin cushion have if you have already tried to reset the monitor to defaults and it still looks this way then it is indeed time for a new monitor.  You can get them realllly cheap from your local goodwill.  They even have old CRT's still in my area however they will no longer accept CRTs.  So they have LCD's and CRT's and you can pick them up for a steal.  Otherwise you can get them for around 250.00 brand new from a local store like best buy.

#13 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

It is really weird but in my country brand new LCD is 6x more expensive than repairing CRT monitors. Though I think this monitor doesn't stand a chance anymore.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

I didn't know about the price implications of a new screen where you live. If this is totally out of your budget then try Yeahbleeping's suggestion of seeing what is available on the second hand market - but if at all possible get to see any monitor you are considering powered and working before you part with any of your cash !

Chris Cosgrove

#15 jamjamnewbie

jamjamnewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:55 PM

Okay, thanks! I'll be buying a new monitor whenever I get the chance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users