Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Format 32gb USB Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 haken_zell

haken_zell

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:37 PM

Hi Everyone Good day,

My brother-in-law bought a 32gb USB flash drive, when we try to use it says it is not formatted, but windows was unable to format.

when i tried to look at Disk Management it says its capacity is only 4MB, but we are really sure that it is 32gb, i already used some utility disk tools but no success. i also tried to format on MAC but it is taking so many hours that i cancelled it, it is also unreadable on Linux.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:45 PM

Where was the flash drive bought from ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:50 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply,

I am not sure, I have to ask him, but is there a tool that can verify the real capacity of this USB Drive?

Thank you.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:54 PM

As far as I am aware, Disc management is accurate.....alternatively plug the drive in and check in 'computer'.....it will show both used space and free space

brand?

bought from?

guarantee ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:03 AM

On 'My Computer' it shows no free space and no used space. on Disk Management it says file system is RAW and only 4MB capacity.

Then is it possible that it is fake?

There's no brand and i have to ask him if where he bought this.

Thank you. 

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:06 AM

If he bought it on ebay....there is a page about this type of concern HERE

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:09 AM

Definitely not on Ebay.

Thank you.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

Try the following. Open an elevated Command prompt. Type CMD in the Search box Right Click > Run as Administrator

At the prompt type the following. Make sure you back up any data on the USB flash drive as the following will wipe the drive

Diskpart  <enter>

list disk  <enter>   Look for the disk number of your attached USB flash drive.

select disk X   <enter>  Where X is the number of your USB flash drive you found in the previous step (make sure you have selected the USB flash drive and not your HDD

clean   <enter>   This will delete all partitions on the drive.

convert mbr  <enter>

create partition primary   <enter>  creates a single primary partition on the USB flash drive.

select partition 1  <enter>

format fs=ntfs quick  <enter>  I am suggesting ntfs because of the 32GB size of flash drive. You can use format fs=fat32 quick if you wish

exit

Edit: Changed sequence of Convert MBR to after clean instead of after create partition. Convert needs to be done on a clean drive with no partitions.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 April 2015 - 05:35 PM.

#9 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

Hi JohnC, thanks for the reply.

Clean was successful, but on Convert MBR it says that "The specified disk is not convertible because the size is less than the minimum size required for GPT disks".

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:28 PM

I wasn't sure of that command but I wanted to include it. Just skip that command and continue with the commands after convert.  No need to do clean again.

#11 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:37 PM

I proceeded on create partition primary, i made a screenshot on what it says.

Thanks.

Attached File  Diskpart.JPG   59.22KB   1 downloads

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

That is interesting. It says the USB flash drive is 4MB. Download Partition Wizard here. Select your USB flash drive and do a wipe zero quick fill. Make sure you are doing this to your flash drive. Then partition and format the full unallocated space. If you do not get 32GB then it's possible the flash drive was a fake or was bad to begin with. Is the flash drive marked as 32GB?

You may be able to get the flash drive back by reflashing the firmware. I will provide some links if the above does not work. This all depends on if the chipset is common and there is firmware available.

#13 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:15 PM

Wipe Disk was successful but there were no option to partition or format the drive.

Attached File  minitool partition.JPG   37.94KB   0 downloads

He bought 2 of this 32GB USB Drive, when i inserted the other one, it says 29.1GB capacity on My Computer, when i tried to reformat it failed and become 4MB like the other one.

Thanks.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:57 AM

These flash drives may be fakes. The only thing I can advise is to check these two sites. If you download Chipgenius do it from the Mediafire site provided by the second link below. For the second site you may get hit with ads if you do not have noscript and adblock on your browser. Your flash drives may not have a detectable chipset either and if that is the case there is nothing else you can do. You may need to open the flash drive case to get an idea of what chipset is used. Good Luck.

Edit: Also check all your downloads at Virustotal.com

http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/repair-your-usb-flash-drive

http://www.flashdrive-repair.com/2012/12/how-to-repair-usb-flash-drive-in-three.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 April 2015 - 08:59 AM.

#15 haken_zell

haken_zell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:05 AM

Thank you so much for all your help :)

I really think that this flash drives are fake. it was bought in Hong Kong, not on the mall but on a street vendor i think, where they are selling souvenirs for tourists, because my brother in law is a seaman.

Anyway, I included a screenshot on what i get from ChipGenius.

Attached File  chip.JPG   26.86KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users