Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

frankenstein build

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:03 PM

i'm building a somewhat strange PC from parts left over from other projects, stuff that never sold on ebay, and random stuff found in the tech closet. After severals hours doing my best to satisfy my curiousity regarding whether or now I had chosen viable components, i hit my first dilemma: GPU choice. Usually the internet helps settle this particular questoin pretty fast, but i got some confusing anwers with this one... the 3 choices -

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 Super Clocked 2GB GDDR5 128bit

EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti with G-SYNC Support 2GB GDDR5 128bit

EVGA GeForce GTX 780Ti Classified Ref 3GB GDDR5 384Bit

[edit: sorry, it's late. I also have a EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti, 3GB, 3072MB,GDDR5 384bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card. I checked if these are still available, as I figured using one of these in dual or triple SLI would be great (and i have both of the nice SLI bridges NIB), but all the ones I could find were new and prohibitively expensive.]

All three are functional, but essentially only barely out-of-box, so none has the advantage of proven reliability.

The setup (right now; i'm still waffling about a few parts) is going to be an i7-4790K paired with an ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboards (copying and pasting from my evernote notes) with - i think - mushkin 16 GB RAM, a Corsair h100i, and a 1200 watt Corsair batttery... Haven't sorted out the hard drive situation yet (or even the OS), but I'm definitely going to try to put it all in here. I have a samsung SSD for the boot drive and various bits and pieces.

Only thing I haven't decided on is the GPU...

thanks!

Edited by defanged, 19 April 2015 - 11:29 PM.

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:39 AM

The 780Ti would win in every situation, in terms of performance: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-960-vs-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti

If you have an OC card, even better :). SLI is pointless unless you're on 4K or multiple monitors (it's also expensive). It also depends what you're using the computer for.

mYIGVc5.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users