Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restoring Backup and moving to different hardware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

Just a couple of questions.

I perform Bare Metal Windows Server Backups on a regular basis. In the near future we will be getting a new server as the old one is becoming a little problematic. If the Hard drive breaks for example I know I can restore from Windows Server Backup by booting from a Win Server disk. 

My question is, if the server catastrophically fails, and i only have the windows server backups, can i restore the backup to different hardware?

Also, when I move to a different server what is the best option to move everything across assuming the old server is still in working order? 

Things like Active Directory, Permissions, IIS etc are important and need to come across, so just wondering what the options are.

Thanks! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:09 AM

Restoring Windows Server Backup to a different server or dissimilar hardware is possible In server 2008 and above. You can even install any missing critical drivers at restore time. For upgrading to a new server assuming the old server is in operation its best to perform AD/DS migration to the new server. There are Tech-net articles giving step by step instructions. Windows IIS has a migration tool as well.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 20 April 2015 - 01:11 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users