Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to transfer files from one computer to another

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ironjack

ironjack

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:38 PM

I am trying to transfer files from old desktop to new desktop.Error message on both machine saying can't connect,check connection.

Old computer is Windows XP Pro. Version 2002 SP3  AMD 1.09 GZH 1.50 RAM 80GB HD 32 BIT.(Dell)

Newer on Dell optiplex 760,Win 7 Pro,4.00 GB memory,Process Intel core 2 Duo CPU.1TB HD,64 BIT.

Both computers are wired,4 feet from each other.I using a cable with 2 standard usb connectors.Win 7 came with"Easy Transfer"

and I downloaded it to the XP Machine.I tried different usb ports,but no worky.

I also loaded a ZIO flash drive.I can't apply it because I don't know a file name to give it that the new computer accepts.

I hope you guys can help me,I fumble through it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

Someone should be along to help you.  I am not familiar with that process, software or what you are trying to transfer.  You can't get this info from the instructions?  You might just download them to a usb, from XP, then just transfer them over, that would be the easy way.  I might take longer but easier.

I don't understand the ZIO flash drive and applying it.  Are you talking about a regular flash drive usb?  If so just plug it in and copy your files over to it, then to the new pc.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:35 PM

Are you using an actual Easy Transfer Cable? Or just a standard USB Male To Male cable. If it's the latter that's your problem. You need a special Easy Transfer branded cable.

From Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Easy_Transfer

The Easy Transfer Cable is a special USB 2.0 cable used to connect two computers together.[8] The connectors are both USB-A male connectors to connect to each PC, and the cable has a small box in the middle which contains the electronics needed to allow the computers to communicate with each other, and controls data flow between the two computers. A direct USB-A to USB-A cable between two computers poses a risk of short circuit.[13] Various manufacturers produce suitable cables.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 ironjack

ironjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:28 PM

Are you using an actual Easy Transfer Cable? Or just a standard USB Male To Male cable. If it's the latter that's your problem. You need a special Easy Transfer branded cable.

From Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Easy_Transfer

The Easy Transfer Cable is a special USB 2.0 cable used to connect two computers together.[8] The connectors are both USB-A male connectors to connect to each PC, and the cable has a small box in the middle which contains the electronics needed to allow the computers to communicate with each other, and controls data flow between the two computers. A direct USB-A to USB-A cable between two computers poses a risk of short circuit.[13] Various manufacturers produce suitable cables.

Animal, That sounds like my problem.I need a particular easy transfer cable.If I read Wiki correctly,the one I needs has too  xfer 32bit to 64 bit.

I'll buy on tomorrow.Will post results.

#5 ironjack

ironjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

Someone should be along to help you.  I am not familiar with that process, software or what you are trying to transfer.  You can't get this info from the instructions?  You might just download them to a usb, from XP, then just transfer them over, that would be the easy way.  I might take longer but easier.

I don't understand the ZIO flash drive and applying it.  Are you talking about a regular flash drive usb?  If so just plug it in and copy your files over to it, then to the new pc.  

Pcpunk, yes it's a standard  flash drive.I'm sure the problem is minor.Computer asks me to name a file to send the transfer to.I name it "bob","bill" or"rtd2",don't work.Name it c:\ some,some don't work.What file name should I use? This is different from easy transfer method.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 25 April 2015 - 05:55 AM

I think the problem with your ZIO drive is that it is fairly old technology, here is a page on Google referencing Win 7 drivers  but a couple I looked at suggested they are not the easiest things in the world to find -

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=zio+compact+flash+reader+driver+for+windows+7

How you copy this data depends on how much you have. If you have a lot of it the Easy-Transfer cable method may be quickest, but the cost of the cable may become a factor. As PCPunk has suggested, a standard USB memory stick might be the simplest and cheapest answer. One of my local suppliers is currently advertising a 32GB memory stick for £UK11 - $US15 ? No extra drivers needed. Plug the stick into the old computer, Windows Explorer and 'Drag and drop' to move the files you want to the stick, remove the stick and plug it into the other computer, Windows Explorer and 'Drag and drop' to put the files where you want them.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2015 - 04:33 PM

I read up a little on Easy Transfer as I suspect you have to.  It did say that there were some issues with an older version so make sure to update it if possible.  ZIO, thanks Chris-never heard of that one.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 26 April 2015 - 11:57 AM

I would use the USB stick method to move the files just because you can be very selective that way. It does take longer, but it is worth the extra effort.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 ironjack

ironjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

WORMHOLEswitch™ USB Transfer cable did the trick. I returned the first usb transfer cable and was wary of buying a different brand. 

The "worm" cost about 5 bucks more, $29.00 US. Fascinating technology. 

Thanks to you guys on the forum.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 27 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

Thank you for letting us know you were successful. You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users