Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 fresh install cannot complete the installation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Viro

Viro

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

Edit: Forgot to change subject line before submitting... sorry everyone.

Recently I started building a computer for a friend and upon installing windows 7 I came across a new error. During the "Completing installation..." phase after the system restarts I get a popup that says, "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware."

After the computer restarts I get this...

System is setting up...

"Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." 

I opened up the cmd prompt in the repair option and located the setuperr.txt in the panther folder only to find 3 entries.

TOOL    Sysprep_Specialize_Bcd: There was an error opening the system store. Status=[0xC0000098] [gle=0x000003e5]

SYSPRP LaunchDll: Failure occurred while executing 'C:\windows\System32\spbcd.dll,Sysprep_Specialize_Bcd', returned error code 1006[gle=0x000003e5]

IBS Callback_Specialize: An error occurred while either deciding if we need to specialize or while specializing; dwRet = 0x3ee

After searching high and low nothing I found seemed to help very much.

Things I've tried so far

-Different Hard Drive (this time an 80 gig remembering windows sometimes hate 3tb+ drives)

-Less than 12 gigs ram (it was a forum suggestion not sure it has weight to it)

-Reimaging a CD with win 7 iso, Reimaging a USB with win 7 iso (never know worth a shot right?)

-I tried my win 7 disks (all legal I build a lot)

-Run windows startup repair(desperate now...)

Nothing seems to have worked so far.

System Spec

2x8 gig 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1866 (PC3 14900)

Refurbished: MSI 970A-G46-R AMD Motherboard

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB Internal Hard Drive Bare

AMD FX-8370 Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz

EVGA 04G-P4-2974-KR GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5

XION AXP-700K14XE 700W

Windows 7 64 bit

Edited by Viro, 19 April 2015 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:15 PM

I fixed the topic title for you. If you want it to something different please let me know and I will change it.

#3 Viro

Viro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:19 PM

That looks perfect thank you!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

How do you have the SATA  configuration controller set in the BIOS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Viro

Viro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:46 PM

I checked for a raid setting in the bios but couldn't find one as some of the forums suggested this error is from raid configurations but I couldn't find a setting for it initially. 

I found it now it is set to IDE Mode.

Options are: Disabled, IDE Mode, AHCI Mode, RAID Mode

Also I found a weird work around but i'm not 100% sure what it did or how it fixed it. I ran the following tip...

"At "windows setup cannot configure windows for this hardware"

Shift F10
Type -
Cd..
Cd..
Cd c:\windows\system32\oobe
Msoobe
This should force it to finalize and create computer name, password, time, etc."

It still brought up the error but now it allowed me to the windows desktop. Is this a safe solution? I'd hate to finish a computer for someone where the OS is installed through unknown workarounds...

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:56 PM

I checked for a raid setting in the bios but couldn't find one as some of the forums suggested this error is from raid configurations but I couldn't find a setting for it initially. 

I found it now it is set to IDE Mode.

Options are: Disabled, IDE Mode, AHCI Mode, RAID Mode

The disk should be set to AHCI Mode. Windows can only boot using a partition with 2TB max size on a MBR disk to use the full disk you must use GPT.

How to Install Windows 7 Using the "Unified Extensible Firmware Interface" (UEFI)

Edited by hamluis, 19 April 2015 - 04:48 PM.
Changed "2GB" to "2TB" - Hamluis.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#7 Viro

Viro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:55 PM

I switched over to AHCI Mode and I was able to use GPT for a full install on the drive. It still complained about the hardware at the end but everything seemed very stable and no errors have persisted yet. He's been putting pressure on me to just give it to him as is so I told him if anything comes up to let me know and just used the commands I described above. I'm still unsure what those commands do but it did allow for the install to work in the end. 

Thanks everyone for your help I really appreciate it. I'll have to do more research to get back up to date on this stuff.

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:28 AM

Hi Viro,

Is the Windows 7 DVD updated with SP1?

According to Microsoft here with the disk updated with SP1 it should fix the problem...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users