Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Networking for small meeting place

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MikeStanley

MikeStanley

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:41 AM

I look after the internet connection and networking in a small meeting hall and would like a little direction.

We have a small domestic router and BT Broadband line running at about 8meg download and 1meg upload.

We transmit voice to a conferencing system so external people can listen in.

We also have a requirement for 30-40 people to be connected on their tablets to the internet.

When these people connect to the internet their usage will be very low, hopefully a few small PDF files from selected internet sites.

When we allow them to use the wireless capability of the router the router hangs and crashes and brings the broadband down.

It appears as it we can support 10-15 without issues, however we would like to give access to all 30-40.

What would you recommend we use.  I am sure that the Internet speed is OK, and we need to use a device that is better at handling the wireless connections.    What would you recommend?

Thanks for looking

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

make and model of the equipment? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 MikeStanley

MikeStanley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

Not sure, it's just a cheap domestic router from PlusNet in the UK, I believe they use Thompson routers.

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:42 AM

Hi,

You will have to use dedicated Wireless AP (Wireless Access Point) to facilitate connection for that much simultaneous connections.....

And

hopefully a few small PDF files from selected internet sites.

That wont be an effective way to manage all traffic. You dont have any control over what services/data can be accessed by devices of members unless you provide filtering and ACLs. 30 to 40 members on a 8mbps connection may make the internet browsing congested.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#5 MikeStanley

MikeStanley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:28 AM

I saw on a forum I could use Cisco AIR-AP1041N-X-K9 access point.   Would one on these do connected to the Ethernet port on the router.    To begin with I would have to trust the ones connected, that they do not overload their connection (I think)

Thanks for your replies

Mike

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

what is your internet connection down/up?  This was eliminated but unless we know it should not be ruled out.

you may find its cheaper to just get a better wifi router than add a AP to the existing router.  If you find with the AP the router is still crashing you are kinda stuck.

#7 MikeStanley

MikeStanley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 06:53 AM

Hi

it's 8 -9 meg download and 1 meg upload

Can you give me examples of better routers please.

From what I have seen, no manufacturer states the number of concurrent wireless connections that they support

Thanks

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users