Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Malwarebytes - Anti-Malware s/w in Boot Mode from Internet ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ChanteylWoleslagle

ChanteylWoleslagle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:53 AM

When running Malwarebytes - Anti-Malware or other such types of apps while in "boot" mode, is it better to run the app using the web version in BleepingComputer or the downloaded copy on the PC? Does the internet version rely on a more current database that would not be available on my PC? Or is this config just too risky?  I run these types of apps in "boot" mode to minimize the malware and troublemakers potential to prevent their files being deleted.

Edit: Topic moved from General Security to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,548 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

Hi Chantey :)

I don't really understand what you're asking us here. You're talking about two Malwarebytes here, as far I know, there's only one real Malwarebytes program, not two. And you can download it directly from Malwarebytes.org. Can you link me the ones you're referring to here?

If you are referring to mbam-clean.exe, this executable is used to clean the Malwarebytes installation from a system, not to remove malware.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

Hi,

In addition to @Aura's excellent advice and questions....

There is no "web version"  or "Internet version" of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM), nor is there a "boot mode" for the software.

MBAM is specifically designed to be installed and run from the OS boot drive, typically the C:\ drive on a standard setup.

MBAM Premium and Trial versions do provide real-time protection that, by default, will load at Windows startup.

Premium and Trial versions also provide an advanced scheduler option to scan "on reboot".

But it is not necessarily suggested that one run an automated system scan at boot -- on some systems, that can lead to performance problems or hangups/freezes.

The default scan schedule -- a daily Threat scan -- is more than sufficient under most conditions for most users.

In order to work properly, MBAM ought to be run in Normal Windows mode, not Safe mode or Safe mode with networking.

If it will not run in Normal mode because of severe infection, there are other strategies, such as the use of the special Chameleon tool.

More info about v2.1.6 HERE
More info about v2.1.4 HERE
User Guide ONLINE
User Guide PDF
FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thank you,

#4 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

I run these types of apps in "boot" mode to minimize the malware and troublemakers potential to prevent their files being deleted.

For home users, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware can run in two environments - Normal Mode and Safe Mode (and with Networking). 

In addition to the above -

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) should be run in Normal Mode if this environment is accessible. The programme is designed to function best in this environment. Running in any other environment reduces the functionality of the programme, and therefore it's ability to detect and remove malware.

This is because the programme includes a low level driver that enables direct disk access (DDA) - similar to ARK (Anti-Rootkit) programmes such as GMER. This driver is only loaded in Normal Mode.

Furthermore, MBAM *works best* whilst malware is loaded in memory. Running in other environments may reduce the functionality of MBAM's "linking technology", which uses malware in memory to detect and remove associated registry keys/values, files, folders, etc.

Edited by LiquidTension, 07 August 2015 - 03:25 AM.

Posted Image

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:52 PM

Expanding on the comments by LiquidTension...

Scanning with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in safe or normal mode will work but removal functions are not as powerful in safe mode. Malwarebytes is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. As noted, Malwarebytes loses some effectiveness for detection and removal when used in safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of Malwarebytes. Doing a safe mode scan should only be done when a regular mode scan fails or you cannot boot up normally.

If that is the case, after completing a safe mode scan, rebooting normally, updating the database definitions and rescanning again is recommended.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

BTW...scanning in safe mode was a recommended course of action years ago with many security scanners. This was before malware writers began to employ more sophisticated techniques to counter removal efforts in that mode and before we had programs like Malwarebytes which work effectively in normal mode.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users