Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

download from Bleeping Computer.com ??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ChanteylWoleslagle

ChanteylWoleslagle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

I have downloaded from this site before without problem. Today, April 12 2015, all downloads are named SystemOptimizer.exe -- no matter which app I download. Once on my computer, the publisher is different than the one shown on BleepingComputer.com download site.  For example: Malwarebytes - Anti-Malware Cleanup Tool shows Publisher: Malwarebytes (Added on Jan 06, 2015). On my computer it shows the publisher as "Get Live Support Ltd". Therefore I did deleted the download. I have tried 4 times and I am following the directions provided .... and I have done this without issue before.... The computer has Win7 OS. Any suggestions?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 19 April 2015 - 09:58 AM.
moved from Tips and Tricks to Am I Infected to explore the possibility of malware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:04 AM

Hi,

can you describe in detail how you download the files? You go to the website and click on "Download NOW @Bleepingcomputer"? Then what?

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

I just tried the download for MBAM and not experiencing what you are. What happens when you click this...Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Download Link

EDIT: What happens when you click this which is the Tool you mentioned...Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Cleanup Tool Download Link

Edited by buddy215, 19 April 2015 - 10:21 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 ChanteylWoleslagle

ChanteylWoleslagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:33 AM

myrti

Here are the exact steps I executed, this time for "Shortcut Cleaner" ... I get the same end-result no matter which product I try to download. I did go to the Malwarebytes site, and successfully downloaded the apps.
1. click on product name to download
2. Page opened for [Shortcut Cleaner 1.3.7.0 Download" at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/shortcut-cleaner/
3. click on [Downlaod Now @BleepingComputer] blue button toward the right side
4. Page opened with page header "Downloading Shortcut Cleaner 1.3.7.0" at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/shortcut-cleaner/dl/172/
5. Download fails to begin automatically, so I click the blinking button [Download Now]  
6. Transfer to [Windows PC Repair] window which has the url http://www.pcrepairlabs.com/en/windows-pc-repair/?vtsid=1002000&srcid=AA06MbjepLO-15v0cEW-y2v7NsPLPV37HwAAAAAA&sub_id=22485&upi=1

When I clicked the download on the [Windows PC Repair], the "SystemOptimizer.exe" is downloaded to my PC.  It appears that step 5 is hijacked to a [Windows PC Repair] page?

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Cleanup Tool (yes and not the one I wanted since it removes Malwarebytes, but appreciate the 2nd set of eyes to confirm)

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hi Chanteyl,

Unfortunately Step 5 has you falling for an advertisement. Once you did step 4 you get redirected to the new page where you either need to wait 4 seconds for the download to start or you need to read the text carefully:

hank you for choosing BleepingComputer.com as your download destination. Your download will begin momentarily.

If the download process does not begin automatically, please click here.

You need to click on the "click here" to get to the correct program. The "Download Now" button is a "sponsored advertisement", which should also be marked above the image itself.

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 ChanteylWoleslagle

ChanteylWoleslagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

myrti,

Thank you, this worked. I need to make sure my browser setting shows links .... because 'click here' is not underlined or italized or blue to indicate it is a link to use.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:31 PM

Sponsored advertisements are shown on the Bleeping Computer web site if you are not logged on with your forum account as a registered member. Although the site owner permits ads, we have no control over them and BC does not recommend or endorse any of the advertisements. If you are logged in with your member account, you should not see any advertisements or download links for them....that's one reason we encourage our members to always sign in first.

When not logged on, some folks may click the incorrect download link or unknowingly click a link which downloads or attempts to download a program they did not intend to install. You have to be careful with clicking on links no matter which web site you're on. Sometimes the ads are for downloading junk registry cleaners, optimizers, download managers or other worthless applications we do not recommend.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users