Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

linux to xp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lindian

lindian

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:28 AM

Hi, I just bought an acer aspire one aoa150 off of a friend and I want to change the os from Linux Ubuntu to windows xp which was the original os. I have windows xp on my desktop and the serial key, could someone tell me how to do this. Thank You very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

You will need another legit XP disk you can't use your old disk on a different machine, frankly I would load 7 on it.  I have 7 on the same machine, I did up the ram to 2g it runs decent a bit slow loading but fine once up.  Due to its size it is my preferred tote around, my regular LT i a pain lugging around. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

I agree with Phil...going to XP at this time is just not very sound, IMO.

Louis

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:56 PM

XP  will be dead soon might as well move on to another os.  As I understand it there won't be any browser support soon.  I think linux  would be better than Windows 7 but it's not for everyone.  If you decide to do this just go over to the linux support page here.  If you want fast and secure linux will be better than windows 7.  Ubuntu is not for me either and there are other OS's that more resemble windows if you want to give it a go.  Once you get all set up with xp then you will have a lot invested and will have to move anyhow.  M.S. dosen't want you using it anymore and vendors won't keep software around for it for to long.  A lot of us still have it but if you don't might as well move on.  I lost it on one pc and just decided to forget it and all the headaches with it.  Take a look in the malware section on xp machines.

Sorry, I know that is not what you want to hear.

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2015 - 08:30 AM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 lindian

lindian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:44 AM

ok Guys, I have got a windows 7 home premium iso disk (Legit). can you please explain what I have to do next. Thanks very much

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

If it's a legitimate Win 7 disk...all you should have to do is insert and follow the prompts.

I would first...delete all existing partitions...then simply follow the prompts to install Win 7.

When asked to enter the activation code...do so.

Louis

#7 lindian

lindian
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

Hi again, sorry but the acer aspire ne aoa150 netbook has no disk drive. cheers

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,666 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:56 PM

lindian, I have never done this but with a search, there are many choices to read up on until Hamluis gets back.  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-to-convert-windows-7-dvd-to-usb-flash-drive/5c86f8e0-b475-4f3e-8b49-6ef167eead59

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:19 PM

you can download a win7 iso... it will prompt you to enter your key in... just write it to a (very) big usb drive and it will prompt you for your key... ill link to it here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

enjoy ( i hate windows anyways xD)

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2015 - 05:12 PM

You could borrow or possibly buy a USB CD drive, I did quite a few years back for mine and have used it for that and many other things since.  You should have a 160 gig HD plenty of room for programs, get it up and running then add another gig of ram which is the max for that board.  Adding ram is pretty easy there are a few flics on Youtube.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:57 AM

You could borrow or possibly buy a USB CD drive, I did quite a few years back for mine and have used it for that and many other things since.  You should have a 160 gig HD plenty of room for programs, get it up and running then add another gig of ram which is the max for that board.  Adding ram is pretty easy there are a few flics on Youtube.

i completely forgot about that... if i were to do this... i would've wasted hours xD.

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users