Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FTP problem - updating files works, but browsers still see old versions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dornroschen

Dornroschen

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:38 AM

I suspect this will be a problem that someone can solve quickly for me, but I've spent hours trying to figure it out without success!

The problem

I use FTP Commander to update my website, and have done for years.  However, as of yesterday, after overwriting .pdf files on my site in order to update them, I still see the old, outdated version of the .pdf files when I access them through my browsers (Firefox 37.0.1 and IE 11.0.9600.17728).  I am running Windows 8.1.

Attempted solutions

I have tried deleting the browser caches, as well as running CCleaner with all browsers closed and restarting the computer, and the problem persists.

I have tried accessing the .pdf files through another computer (but through the same router) and I still see the old versions, even though FTP Commander shows that those versions no longer exist on the server.  I can download the files directly through FTP Commander, and confirm that they are the new version.

If I try browsing to an empty URL on my site then, of course, I find nothing and get a 404 error.  If I then upload a .pdf to that URL, then the browsers access it successfully (thus confirming that FTP Commander is functioning).  But if I then overwrite that file, the browsers still find the FIRST version that I uploaded, even if I then delete the file altogether.  There is no way that I can get back to the 404 error.

Interestingly, I have tried uploading a file to an empty URL, accessing it through Firefox and then deleting it via FTP Commander.  If I then try to access this empty URL through Internet Explorer, I *still* see the deleted .pdf, even though I have never accessed it in that browser.  So wherever this outdated data is being stored, it doesn't appear to be in the browsers.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can resolve the problem?  Might it be that my ISP has started caching for some reason??

Thanks,
Shaun

Edited by Dornroschen, 19 April 2015 - 11:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Martel

Martel

Drfixup Human Internet Solutions

• Members
  • 1,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 08:59 AM

eliminate the previous versions

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,073 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

And does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can resolve the problem?  Might it be that my ISP has started caching for some reason??

Or you are using some caching mechanism in your web hosting like Cloudflare!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Dornroschen

Dornroschen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:04 AM

And does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can resolve the problem?  Might it be that my ISP has started caching for some reason??

Or you are using some caching mechanism in your web hosting like Cloudflare!

Ah, that's a good lead, thank you!  I forgot that I let a friend log in to have a look at the website's speed issues some months ago, and he did set up Cloudflare.  I'll speak to him as to how to clear the cache in Cloudflare and see whether that resolves the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users