Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the easiest way to re-image computers with different hardware?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shutupchigo

shutupchigo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:32 AM

I work in a company where we restore around 15 laptops to their factory defaults a day. Most of them don't have recovery partition so we rely on using OEM disks to restore the systems. The only problem is, after the restoration we spend quite a lot of time finding drivers for unknown devices. Right now we are going to manufacturers websites to download drivers for the computers.

This is a time consuming task.

We also know how to download drivers manually using the Hardware ID but it is also time consuming.

My question is,  How would you go about restoring different brands of computers to their factory defaults with all the drivers?

Any help is highly appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Edit: Apologies if this was posted in a wrong section. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

From your description you are not restoring to factory defaults but installing Windows from scratch using an OEM disk that doesn't include the needed drivers.

Normally wen Restoring to factory defaults using the recovery partition the restore will install all the drivers, but yes they can be outdated...

Something that could help you with the drivers is Snappy Driver Installer.

Besides the drivers don't forget all the Windows Updates and program updates for Antivirus, Browsers, Adobe Flash, Adobe Reader, Java, Skype, etc. that need to be installed. IMHO the best solution is to create new full Disk Images when the machine is ready but to do that you need storage space and a reliable software to create the backups. Not all the programs create Rescue Disks to boot Windows 8/8.1 machines with Secure Boot enabled!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:31 AM

- I only can offer for a partial solution. Hewlett Packard puts all their system drivers software (touchpad, sound, etc.) in a folder called "C:\Swsetup". If you need to restore HP systems then first copy that entire folder to e.g. USB stick BEFORE re-installing the Operating System.

- Did you try the program "Tweaking's Hardware Identify" ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hardware-identify/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users