Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Contaminated With Ms Wga

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:53 PM

Hi Everybody!

How do you know if your PC has been infected by that spyware thing that Microsoft Corp. put out awhile back called The Microsoft Genuine Advantage Program?

Where do you look in your system to see if your PC has been infected by that little bugger, and more importantly "How the hell do you get rid of it?"

I use Win XP Home edition, and I accept automatic updates, should I change my habits as far as the auto updates thing goes or what?

If anyone has any information regarding the detection, and removal of this unwanted little pest I'd sure be happy if they would share it with me.

Thanks

♥ Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 02 July 2006 - 04:51 PM

Hi, Wendy~

Perhaps if the current lawsuit against MS goes well, they'll send out a tool that removes the notification. There's a lot of interesting reading here. But I think I'd wait for more reports of successful removal and updates before I got too excited about it.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:53 PM

Thanks for the reply Herk.

Well I'm not sure if I have been contaminated with it or not because I remember getting one of those screens that let me "Disagree" with the EULA, and cancel that %&%%#@.

So is there anyway that I can check to see if that sucker is in my system anyway?

Thanks

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:37 PM

JUst go to Windows Update and click review your update history on the left.

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for the reply Herk.

Well I'm not sure if I have been contaminated with it or not because I remember getting one of those screens that let me "Disagree" with the EULA, and cancel that %&%%#@.

So is there anyway that I can check to see if that sucker is in my system anyway?

Thanks

Wendy

Go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel & check the box at the top to show updates & scroll down to thw W's.

Or perhaps C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:47 PM

I do not understand about this infection. Microsoft made the program and also made Windows. All they are trying to do is make sure everybody is running legal and they already know who is or is not so what they did was to make a program that tells everybody whether or not they are legal. I did not know Microsoft was being sued. It must be from all of the people who are not legal. This should be interesting to find out if it is legal for Microsoft to do this since they own every copy of Windows out there and this is even the illegal ones. Microsoft can shut down all of the illegal versions in an instant if they wanted to and there is nothing anyone could do about it. Like I say, It will be interesting to see who wins the law suit.

#7 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:45 PM

Hello all!

Just a little info.....

WGA is windows inforcer in finding out if a user of Windows XP is running a legit version or not,it is not a virus,it is a legit Microsoft application. If it finds the operating system is a legal version, it allows the user to recieve critical updates and new software. If it finds the OS is an illegal copy,then it prevents the user from recieving any updates in the future.

You, at present, cannot recieve all of Microsoft XPs critical updates unless you have WGA. You may still be notified of updates if you have not got WGA installed, but it wont contain all of the critical ones. Also, if you do not install WGA, you can not download Windows Defender or recieve any of its updates.Nor will you be able to download new versions of software microsoft release, such as the new IE browser or the newer version of Windows Media Player etc. You will only be able to download these if WGA is installed on your system and is a legal copy of the OS.

If at present, you do not have WGA, then it is up to you if you wish to install it or not. If you do then more updates and free MS software will be available to you, if you dont install it then you wont get these benefits.

However, It has been stated by many Windows users (including myself) that WGA is in breach of there privacy. This is because WGA dials home to Microsoft when the user loads up there PC (used to be everyday,now once every 2 weeks) basicaly sending out info to Microsoft about there copy of XP, there ISP and other minimal information. Due to how WGA sends this information, it has been classed as working like spyware, further more when the original version of WGA was released it was so in a very sneaky way. The original was a test version and users were not told about what the software does,nor were most aware it had been downloaded onto there system in the first place, they were basically guinea pigs in the giant MS lab, and this is the reason why Microsoft is being sued.

The newer version released recently, informs the user of what it is and allows them to choose if they wish to install it, and once installed it can not be removed.

I have the new version of WGA, as i want to be able to download all of the critical updates as well as be able to update defender and install the new version of WMP when the final version is released. If you do not wish to install the software, then that is your rightful choice.

Depending on the outcome of the courtcase, it may turn out that WGA may not be needed and MS told to cancel there operation, but i wouldnt hold my breathe on that one.

So just to clarify,

If you want new software and updates for XP released by Microsoft, you need (at present) to have WGA installed on your system.

If you do not want all available updates and software, then you do not need to install it.

I hope thats helped clear things!
:thumbsup:

Edited by graveangel, 04 July 2006 - 10:03 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:45 AM

Well put graveangel

I did not know Microsoft was being sued. It must be from all of the people who are not legal.

And no the class action lawsuit has not been filed in the interest of those with pirated copies of
windows versions.

This should be interesting to find out if it is legal for Microsoft to do this since they own every copy of Windows out there and this is even the illegal ones.

I do not understand this statement. Once one purchases a windows version, it is theirs. Not M$...correct?

http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft_...gram/1151615015

Microsoft is the target of a class action lawsuit after a California man sued the company over violations of spyware statutes for its Windows Genuine Advantage anti-piracy program. The suit was filed Monday in a U.S. District Court in Seattle.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=6502

Intrusive, sneaky, and could be thought of as extortion.....
And BTW Microsoft... I know my copy is legit. I do not need to be forced to install your :thumbsup: to find out
what I knew already. WGA realizing a copy is legit is for your (M$) edification ONLY.
Plus it was a "beta" version of WGA. And I do NOT ever wish to test anything for M$.
And as to being forced to well... :flowers:

Edited by Scarlett, 05 July 2006 - 09:55 AM.

Posted Image

#9 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:16 AM

Intrusive, sneaky, and could be thought of as extortion.....
And BTW Microsoft... I know my copy is legit. I do not need to be forced to install your censored2.gif to find out
what I knew already. WGA realizing a copy is legit is for your (M$) edification ONLY.
Plus it was a "beta" version of WGA. And I do NOT ever wish to test anything for M$.
And as to being forced to well... mad.gif

and well put yourself Scarlett, i could not agree with you more!

We paid for our LEGIT OS wether it be via CD or on the PC itself when bought, and now we have to prove it. Many words spring to mind that would not be very gentlemanly of me if i were to quote them right now.

Well, Microsoft have me where they want me. If the only way i can make sure my updates are correct and the only way to recieve critical updates is to have WGA, then i will just have to have it installed. I am not risking my system by not having the critical updates, no matter how pi**ed i am at MS,i would only be beating myself up if i did that, and allowing my system to become vulnerable.

There are unsafe ways of getting MS updates without WGA installed, but these are not the complete list,nor are they legit themselves, they are tampered with so they can be accessed. So for the time being, it looks like i will be using WGA in order to recieve my updates, which, and i state,
"i have already paid for Microsoft at the start, so how dare you block them from me unless i prove my purchase."

:thumbsup:

Edited by graveangel, 05 July 2006 - 10:19 AM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:01 AM

;) graveangel

This may be of some interest to you (and others).

Microsoft Admits Wga Mess Up:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/57661/microsoft-admits-wga-mess-up/
Posted Image

#11 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:15 AM

Scarlett :thumbsup:

Ive just read this, and i guess MS know that they are beat and were wrong.

Im happy about this,but one thing still remains, can i actually uninstall the new version of WGA and either way, i hope MS now put somthing on there sites to remove it,not telling us to do this and that, but to actually produce a removal tool!

But, for now at least, we have won this battle :flowers:

#12 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:44 PM

How to disable or uninstall the pilot version of Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications
Here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921914

MS states do so at your own risk. lol
What nerve. There wouldnt be a question of removing it, if had been an option not a forced install. :thumbsup:
Speaking for myself that is. lol

@ Wendy Have you found out if it is on your system?
Posted Image

#13 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:59 PM

Hi, and thanks to everyone for all of the replies.

Hi Scarlett, Yep! That damned thing is on my system. I followed the instructions on that site to see about removing it, and guess what?

Yep, I got one that says "This update cannot be removed". There's no damned V or build number anywhere in the add/remove stuff for me to get too, and I'm way too computer illiterate to call myself editing my registry.

So what do I do to get rid of it?

You know, if MS had of made sure that that thing worked by testing on their own stuff instead of sneaking a Beta thing on everyone they would have most likely gotten away with it.

But no, in typical MS fashion they were in such a damned big hurry to rush it to market that they just shoved R&D out of the way, and plunged forward.

Part of what got them caught was a "Big Bug" in that thing that was kicking back against lots of PC's that were all running legal MS stuff, and calling them pirates.

What can I do now?

Thanks,
Wendy

#14 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:21 PM

"The software maker June 27 announced the release of an updated WGA Notifications package that will be delivered to millions of Windows XP users via Automatic Updates with one major change.

In the pilot phase, a PC that had installed WGA Notifications checked a server-side configuration setting upon each login, to determine if WGA Notifications should run or not.

This daily configuration file check has been removed in the updated WGA Notifications package released June 27, according to a Microsoft statement"

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:10 PM

As far as the MS Genuine Advantage update - I do not blame Microsoft at all for it. In addition to stealing the program, those it will affect are those who not only stole the program but are continuing to steal support in the way of updates from Microsoft and this will make that theft significantly more difficult to accomplish.

Disable it or remove it and you may well be disabling your ability to get Windows Updates.

This update, even if you had your updates set to automatically download and install did not automatically install but rather was completely disclosed in a eula that accompanied the download allowing those who didn't want it installed to opt out, and you had to read it (or intentionally ignore it) before the download installed.

Of course, those who opted out would then no longer be able to continue to receive support in the way of updates from Microsoft. This is no different than any manufacturer requiring proof of purchase or authenticity before providing additional services and it is completely justified and proper. Pirates are not entitled to continue to steal from Microsoft.

Those with a legitimate installation of Windows will not be denied anything to which they are entitled and in the worst case scenario that could happen is that a very few legitimate users may be inconvenienced by having to re-authenticate. The vast majority will see no effect at all.

I see nothing wrong with Microsoft stopping continuing theft of their software and services.

This is in no way a violation of privacy as it did not "report" back to Microsoft in any way that could be used to identify the thieves that were pirating Windows although I think even that would be proper and justified just as Lojack or Onstar will identify a stolen car being operated by a thief.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users