Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidently wiped Hard drives drivers - Need HELP!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WollaBollaBingBong

WollaBollaBingBong

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:10 PM

Afternoon all, 

I have messed up and have spent the last three hours trying to resolve this problem. 

So firstly I wanted to upgrade my Desktop Hard drive to a 1TB hard drive. I purchased the Seagate Desktop ST1000DM003.

Towards the end of installing Windows 7 and near completion, an error appeared stating 'Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware'. I read that this is an update of some kind but I couldnt find what it was. After a few attempts which ended up installing three separate Windows 7 on this hard drive, I decided in all my wisdom to start a fresh and format the hard drive......in doing so I wiped the drives device drivers and now the PC wont recognise it all without them drivers. 

Can someone please help me on where I can down these drivers so I can put it on a USB stick and have it uploaded through the Windows 7 upload process? 

And if any of you know how to overcome the first problem with installing a new hard drive into a old desktop, that would be amazing! 

Hope to hear from you soon. 

Cheers

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:59 AM

We need the make (Dell, gateway, Lenovo etc.) and model number (optiplex, inspiron, M73 tower etc) of the Pc to even begin helping. If it's a custom unit the make and model of the motherboard.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 WollaBollaBingBong

WollaBollaBingBong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:17 AM

Hi

Thanks for the reply. 

Its a Dell Optiplex 960 Desktop.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:26 AM

You can find your drivers Here you may need to change the operating system to reflect 32bit or 64bit. You can also put in your service tag number at http://support.Dell.com and click on drivers and downloads.

Edit: or enter your tag information In the first link I gave.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 April 2015 - 01:27 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#5 WollaBollaBingBong

WollaBollaBingBong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for the links. I have downloaded the necessary drivers for that particular model desktop but I am a little confused. Are these drivers suppose to be installed on to the Hard drive so I can finally use it on this desktop? Or are these drivers suppose to be used to deal with the first issue I had with the Windows Setup? 

Sorry to be a pain, as you can see I am not the best technically minded person....thats why I have come on here :)

Thanks in advance 

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:14 AM

I miss read your post. During the install of Windows 7 during the setup, it's not able to detect the hard drive?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 WollaBollaBingBong

WollaBollaBingBong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:00 AM

I have two issues. 

First - the new hard drive was not completing the install of windows 7, came up with the error 'Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware'. I read that it required an update or file or something. 

Secondly - After trying to resolve the issue above I accidentally formatted the new hard drive wiping the device driver off it as well. I am now trying to find the correct device driver for the Seagate Hard Drive so the Desktop detects it. I can therefore continue to the other issue.

Hope that makes sense?  

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:14 AM

Are you installing Windows 7 x64 or x32?

Edit: Please pm me your service tag as well.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 April 2015 - 04:14 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:00 AM

I think I may be missing some information still.  

1. Reboot the computer with the new drive installed
  2. Press F2 at the dell logo.
  3. Select Drives
  4. Are any drives listed?
  5. Is your new Hard drive listed?

If the drive is listed Windows should detect the drive during installation if not try This driver. You will need to download the file and run it. This will extract the files to a folder. Copy the folder to a usb drive. During Windows setup select Load drivers at the bottom and navigate to the usb drive folder.

Edit: I should post. Op is installing Windows 7 x32. Factory configuration was Windows Vista/7 on 160GB WD SATA no Raid. 

Edit2: Added instructions to detect hard drive in bios.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 19 April 2015 - 06:31 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users