Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

changed microsoft password, now I can't log in to computer

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 kelkay

kelkay

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:32 PM

:smash:  Well this just takes the cake.  I was always unhappy with Microsoft for linking my computer password, to my Microsoft account.  Now here we go.  I changed my password with Hotmail.  Now I cannot sign in to my computer in my administrator account. (I'm using Win 8.1) I think I changed it yesterday.  I put it in sleep mode, and today I restarted it, then found out I couldn't sign in, because it wouldn't take my new password.  I know that password is right, because I can use it on the email just fine.  I have a very long, and difficult password for Hotmail, and this is one reason I hate that they are linked.  I destroyed the old password, after using the new one, and it worked.  I guess the Windows 8.1 wants the older password.  Why is it not taking my new password?  If I have to start all over, I'm gonna be furious.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hi kelkay :)

Before doing anything, try the old password and see if it works. If it doesn't, I suggest you to follow the instructions below in order to recover your password, or even change it once again.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-live/sign-in-cant

Click on Reset your password and select the second option, which is that you know your password, but cannot connect and then go from there. Let me know how it goes.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

I tried that, and it didn't work.  I changed the password and everything, via the second option.  I tried it before restarting, restarted and tried, and then finally shut down, and tried.  It still does not recognize my password on the computer.  I can log into Hotmail with that new password, that I just made.  This is just crazy.  Does this mean I have to completely redo my computer from the start?  Oh I hope not. 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:22 PM

Did you try entering the old password or not? Also, are you sure that your computer is connected to the Internet right now? If its not, it cannot contact Microsoft servers to see if your password was changed or not.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:25 PM

Yes, I tried the password I made yesterday. (tried it, and the new one from just now) It did not take it.  I am connected to the internet.  I am on here using the guest option.  But it does not have admin privileges.  How do I contact Microsoft servers?  I know it was changed, because I can log into the Hotmail account under the password I just made.

Edited by kelkay, 18 April 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:27 PM

This is a delicate situation. You could try to see if you have access to manage your account from the guest one and see if you can force a password change from the computer directly.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/12206-microsoft-account-password-change-reset-windows-8-a.html

unite_blue.png

#7 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:30 PM

I will take a look at that.  I cannot thank you enough for trying to help me. 

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

No problem. Its always a pain when you use a Microsoft account on Windows 8/8.1 and the password isn't recognized. Since its like pretty much any other passwords on the web, its hard to bypass it or reset it with no information.

unite_blue.png

#9 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

Well I see this is going to be a problem.  If I am in my main account it recognizes me as trusted in Firefox.  If I go to IE, it never does.  I have to get a new code every time.  If I hit I sign in frequently on this device, trust me...or something like that, I check that, and it NEVER works.  You have to have it trust you, or you cannot do this way to reset.  I should have made that reset key, and put it on a flash drive.  I am going to try one other thing, unless you have any further ideas.  If that doesn't work, I guess I will have to start from scratch.  This is a Win8 computer updated to Win8.1 via the store.  So basically it is going to be a hair pulling experience to get this back.  I have always had Windows, but this just may be the final straw for me.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:50 PM

Do you have 2FA enabled on your Microsoft account or is the code you are referring to sent by them via texto?

unite_blue.png

#11 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:00 PM

I don't know what 2FA is.  The code I meant was sent by them.  I have to get a code each time I sign in from IE.  Why I do not know.  I have put trust me in there several times, and it never takes.  If I am in Firefox in my main account, it is just fine.  That is my default browser.

#12 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:01 PM

I am going to be away from keyboard for a few.  I have to take the dogs out.  Plus I need to cool off a little.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,485 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:06 PM

I don't know how Microsoft "Trust this device" works. If they go via IP address or cookies. If they go via cookies and you delete them on browser closure or with another program like CCleaner, it could explain why it keeps on reasking you to trust this device.

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:15 PM

Microsoft has a private secure online form to report various Microsoft account and password issues. You can contact the Microsoft Account Support Team using this secure e-form link.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 kelkay

kelkay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:16 PM

Ah, that might be it.  I do have CCleaner, and I have another cleaner, forgot the name of it.  It is in my main account.  It doesn't show up on programs, but it is on the desktop. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users