Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DownThemAll Download Manager by Firefox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:40 PM

How does one adjust download speed in this extension.  It says...in the not so good instructions, that adding "Chunks" will will speed up the download.  Problem is, there is nothing that resembles "Chunks" in the Preferences.  There is however "Segments Per Download" which I am assuming is what I am looking for.  I will have to test it out I guess and look at the download speeds.

There is also a "Unlimited" button at the bottom to the left of "Preferences" what does this do?

I was running 800.0KB to 1024 with "Segments" set at "2"

Very poor instructions DownThemAll?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 05:51 PM

http://www.downthemall.net/howto/help/

Admittedly they have substandard help and guidance.

Please note that the help is right now a bit outdated and incomplete, especially the international versions. We’re working on getting a more comprehensive help online in the future…

My own observation shows they haven't updated any copyright action since 2013 on that page.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2015 - 09:00 PM

Thanks Animal-that's what I was referring to.  It's sad as it is such a good tool, I will gladly donate some to their cause.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 18 April 2015 - 11:53 PM

pcpunk, that's as simple as pie, thought everyone who uses Down Them All! knew. My bad for not explaining to you. 

You'll see at the bottom, a Limit, by default it's Unlimited. There's an up & down Tab to click, clicking down of course does no good, it gets no faster than your connection (unlimited). You click the arrow pointing upwards to lower speed, to where you want it to be. Whether or not this holds across reboots, I have no idea, as when I want to download, am on my personal connection, and am not concerned about infringing on others. 

The only way that I would consider a limit is if there were guests here with their computers/smartphones connected to my router. And Down Them All is my workhorse, enables me to get what I need, when I need it, and there's nothing more frustrating than when downloading a 3GB ISO, connection brakes at 75-80% complete. All it takes is a fraction of a second with a Web browser for that connection to be broken. This is why Add-ons like DTA are popular, and they get a yearly donation from me around the holidays as a token of appreciation. It beat the crap out of Microsoft's Download Manager, called Akamai, when a TechNet member (paid membership). That's when I discovered how great it really was. I could download huge ISO's with DTA in half the time compared to Akamai. 

This custom setting doesn't show as a percentage, rather the speed. For example, if you know the download speed is 2.0MB/sec, then it shows this in KB/sec in the Settings (or if Download speeds falls below a certain level), if you want to use just 50%, adjust to as close to 1000KB/sec as possible. You have to run a download test (not a speedtest.net one) to find out the actual download speed when unlimited. Download a medium sized file such as Adobe Reader & pay attention to that the speed is showing at the bottom. That is the actual speed. 

At any rate, begin with the upper arrow key, and work your way up, if it's too much, then you can click back downwards, until you hit 'Unlimited' again. I've used DTA since 2009 w/no issues. 

Hope that this helps to explain. Should you have further questions, feel free to post.  :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 20 April 2015 - 12:17 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:31 AM

O-Boy, I had the Segments set at "2" and this was with the last two distro's I downloaded, I'm pretty sure, for sure on one of them.  Now having issues installing these two distro's.  Could this be an issue?  If you don't know I will have to re-download, and re-burn to be sure.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

Okay checked the md5sum hash and it was good as I expected but having issues booting the disro I want the most.  I started a topic at lm.com here.  I was going to start one here but I bother you guys enough as it is: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=194444&p=1008363#p1008363

Really frustrated that once I find a distro that I want (mate13, and was your good suggestion) that I can now not install it lol.  The graphics were better than KDE13.  All the graphics work well, along with everything else.  Install went well but won't boot.  I will start another topic here if the lm.com comes up dry.  Can't believe mate17 worked and 13 won't.  Graphics in 17 were not as good though.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 20 April 2015 - 01:13 AM

Graphics in 17 were not as good though.

I found this to be the case myself. That's because my graphics card in that notebook is an ATI Radeon 7500 (32MB). When Mint 17.1 would boot or shut down, the Mint icon was blurry with different colors. 

In fact, installed Mint 13 yesterday & it ran fine, just have to remove Mediubuntu from the Update repositories, as it's no longer maintained. Instructions were easy enough for me to follow, and as a result, there were no update errors, though there were nearly 700 to install. That's to be expected with a 2012 release. 

pcpunk, I believe you threw in the towel on Mint 13 too early. I read your linked Topic, and nowhere did you ask about the broadcom b43 issue at boot (described in the Release Notes), as well as took the liberty to add it to the Topic so that members knew what was going on. It's a simple fix to get past that point, hopefully someone will answer this for you in the Topic you created over there. 

It's best to seek support on one forum only, and if one cannot provide you with an assist, then move to another. As you very well know, answers doesn't always come in a few minutes or hours. Sometimes it takes up to a full day or so, and if no answer, you can always 'bump' it by asking 'Any Feedback?' or similar question. 

Posting on two forums only leads to confusion, with too much advice coming in. While sometimes the 'right' answer may be found, one may have to sift through several fixes to find 'the one', and by then, the system may have been modified, by the 'try & see' approach. With the end result being a modified distro that may cause future issues. 

As to Down Them All, it's a great & flexible download manager, you need to take the time to learn the controls, as well as paying attention to the max speed of a connection by downloading a 100MiB file. 1MB/sec=1000KB/sec, divide that by 50% & you'll have 500KB/sec. Yes, it's good to show respect for those you connect to. 

As to your last post, that should have been included here. Nothing to do with DTA at all. May have helped with your Topic there. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573657/b43blacklistyes/#entry3685178

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:48 PM

Weird, you ever get a corrupted iso download cat?  I downloaded kde17.1 today from James Madison University and it came up corrupted, I did this from linuxmint.com.  I was surfing the web and listening to iheart radio at the same time.  I had a "good" connection at the clubhouse where I live, bussiness class comcast I believe and no one else was using it.  I did notice some skips in iheart during that time.  I was using the md5sum and changed to Oklahoma Uni. and it worked.  Not needing answers just thought I would ask if you had experienced some issues like this.  Surely this is just a bad connection issue, but as you have said - and I have experienced - it will stop and re-download when connection was better.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:57 PM

cat's quote:  "pcpunk, I believe you threw in the towel on Mint 13 too early. I read your linked Topic, and nowhere did you ask about the broadcom b43 issue at boot (described in the Release Notes), as well as took the liberty to add it to the Topic so that members knew what was going on. It's a simple fix to get past that point, hopefully someone will answer this for you in the Topic you created over there."  I thought I did in my second line but could have been more clear:  "I know this is not a great laptop, but all other distro's I have tried - install well enough - but in Compatibility Mode. It has the BCM4318 Broadcom wireless Network Adapter and believe that is the reason it needs to be started in Compatibility mode as far as I know."   

Although, I don't think it has anything to do with it.  I was booting in Compatibility Mode - which is all one needs to do until after install, or blacklist, they both do the same thing.  The problem was booting not installing b43firmware.

As to your last post, that should have been included here. Nothing to do with DTA at all. May have helped with your Topic there.  Yes  sorry.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573657/b43blacklistyes/#entry3685178

Cat

Edited by pcpunk, 21 April 2015 - 04:59 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

Since this topic has run it's course and no longer deals with the original subject matter. This topic is now closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users